'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Glad my comments about the "ice breaker" and "bone crusher" gave you a chuckle. Yeah, I know I'm a real commodian...

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Down here, we put lobster in bags like that. With my imagination, I envision you scurrying around your garage (I'm also jealous of that) inventing things to clamp just for our pleasure here on the forum. You will forever be taken ever so serious for your top notch skills in the boat building department, but you will never live down your clamps! As usual, we are grateful for your good spirit. Boat looks fan-tas-tic!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oh no, say it ain't so. I think his clamps are having babies!

Yea, I must have left some Barry White playing in the shop....:love-struck:​

Down here, we put lobster in bags like that. With my imagination, I envision you scurrying around your garage (I'm also jealous of that) inventing things to clamp just for our pleasure here on the forum. You will forever be taken ever so serious for your top notch skills in the boat building department, but you will never live down your clamps! As usual, we are grateful for your good spirit. Boat looks fan-tas-tic!

I can think of worse things to be remembered for...

I appreciate your kind comments.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I know! $9 for 22 clamps was too much to resist!

Lets see, $9 US for 22 clamps, converted to metric = 6, add in the current US/Canada exchange rate = $10.08 Can....so we're looking at about 1.68 loonies per clamp, plus shipping and handling, duty, etc., and at what point do I add the catalyst..:eek::facepalm::noidea::crazy:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't know what to say...

JLP.png

zool

Captain
Lets see, $9 US for 22 clamps, converted to metric = 6, add in the current US/Canada exchange rate = $10.08 Can....so we're looking at about 1.68 loonies per clamp, plus shipping and handling, duty, etc., and at what point do I add the catalyst..:eek::facepalm::noidea::crazy:

I saw more loonies in Home Depot aisles , then in the cash register lol

specter1000

Recruit
All I can say is 'wow!" Someone who has been around these forums for awhile should make a list of "mandatory readings" for us newbs starting our own restorations, and post it as a sticky....and this one should definitely be on the list! I just hope mine comes out half as good...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks specter1000, If you follow the advice and best practices that are shared on this forum, I'm sure that you will be able to produce a top notch resto on your Skeeter!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So, its been a while since I posted anything, so here's an update. After spending some time thinking about my deck layout, (fuel tank, live well, storage, etc.) I decided that I could more easily design things with the cap on. So, I am going to flip her over and get to work on the hull. Have been thinking through how I want to tackle the task, and will have something rigged up soon. I won't be able to work on things for a couple of weeks though, as I am gearing up to go out of the country for a week in November. However, I will still be lurking around, as I need to have my fix of itch and fumes.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Flips are always fun .... And a bit hectic ... :eek: I,m sure you will come up with a good plan .. Maybe rig some clamps up or something . :rolleyes:
Careful on your out of country trips .. Don,t want to catch something cruddy ...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm back! I am super glad to be able to be working on this again! I went on a medical mission trip to Haiti, so I was not able to work on her while I was getting ready to go. Trip was awesome, did 4 clinics in different villages, saw over 500 people that probably will not see any other kind of medical care. Was super blessed to be able to meet some wonderful people and serve them in a practical way.
So anyway, it was nice to get back out into the shop! I spent most of the day getting ready to flip. I decided to use the trusses in my shop as my lift support, so that required some beefing up of the trusses. I took some angle iron and drilled them so that I could bolt them to the trusses. One bolt through the bottom cord, and two bolts through the vertical member.

Then I took some 3/4 ply and ripped it to 16" and built a box beam around the vertical cord of the truss.

from the top

Here are the angle irons sticking through the ceiling of the shop.

I can put one of these through the hole, and then hang a come-along on that.

I also started to dismantle the cradle a bit.

Looks like a flip is gonna happen tomorrow! Will post pics as events unfold!

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Great that you are back safe and sound ! Very good of you to take the time to go help other people in need ... No matter how bad things can be here at home there is is so much that we should be thankful for ...
Good idea on beefing up and spreading the weight out on the trusses . Not real sure about drilling through the bottom cord of the truss though . I'm no engineer . I guess seeing as you didn't drill through all of them the plywood box beam spanned across the un-drilled ones help offset any weakness caused by the holes in the cord ..
Looking forward to the flip ! Good luck and be careful !

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yea, I'm no engineer either, but the hole is in the center 1/3 of the bottom cord, so I think I will be ok. I have had to drill/cut through structural members before, and the engineer said that in the center 1/3 is the place to do it. Nothing like a live test to find out! Perhaps my next thread will be repairing the ceiling of my shop!!:eek:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Flip went without a hitch! Even managed to get some video of the event. Might be uploaded to YouTube by the end of the year, will post as soon as that is completed. Here are some pics of the post flip activities. Took some time to redo the cradle.

Got the new cradle positioned under the boat. From the stern

From the bow

Ready for some sanding action!

At some point in the past, someone tried to repair a gouge/hole with some sort of caulking!!! :facepalm:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Took a sharpie and circled all of the spider cracks that I could see. There were just a few.

Thought I would get started on grinding the cracks out with my dremel tool.

I am super happy to be back at it again. I noticed a slight hook in the hull at the stern, tomorrow I will get some pictures of it and put it up for the opinions of the more experienced. I think that I could just fare it out with filler, but it would be nice to have some more expert opinions.