'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I did a trial fit of the cap tonight, and I couldn't be happier!!! Slipped on like a glove, no prying or wedging required. I had to remove a bit of glass first. I had to remove the transom cap, because my new transom is thicker than the old one.

And my new deck is not at the same height as the old one (slightly higher).

There she sits, almost a boat again, (temporarily).

And of course, we had to put a seat in and make boat noises. This is my youngest son, I think he was doing about 40 or so! I think he gets it from the Admiral:lol:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I did notice something interesting when I got the cap on. It seems that the original transom had a slight curve, because the cap fit perfect at the outside corners, but by the motor mounting area, it has a 5/8-3/4" gap.

As you can see, the fit was tighter before.

Not a bid deal, as I will be reworking the cap extensively, but it is interesting anyways. As rotten and broken as the original one was, it is not surprising that I didn't notice any curvature.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well... It's prolly due to that Shoddy work you did fixing that big ole Gash on the transom. If you hadn't followed that Old Dumb Okies advice and done it the other way it would have worked out perfect and you wouldn't have that big old gap now!!! That's what you get for listening!!!! You shoulda dun it yer way!!!!:facepalm::faint2:

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It`s great the cap fit so well! Your son should really be watching where he`s going, at 40 mph things can happen fast! :laugh:
My deck ended up slightly higher too, I guess due to the extra layers of fiberglass.

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
That happened to my bow cap too..I agree...I too listened to that dumb ole okie..He is full of hot air....but I trust him explicitly!! Mine had quite a gap & I was able to fill it with PB when I did the final "flip" (gravity making it easier that way). I would trade the gap for the bulked up transom ANY DAY! You'll figure out how to address that in due time. Personally, I think you didn't clamp enough...yup...that's the real problem here, Mr. Clampett! Now quit wasting our time and get back to the boat buildin'. Oh and I see one more problem...you forgot to install the gas pedal! vroom-vroom

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, and what's with that real Boat Seat. Doncha knoz yer spoze to use folding chairz ducked taped 2 duh floor???

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
folding chair? duck tape? you be high society...we just use 5 gal bucket...it's a chair, and a potty!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well... It's prolly due to that Shoddy work you did fixing that big ole Gash on the transom. If you hadn't followed that Old Dumb Okies advice and done it the other way it would have worked out perfect and you wouldn't have that big old gap now!!! That's what you get for listening!!!! You shoulda dun it yer way!!!!:facepalm::faint2:

Ha! You have been a great help with this project Wood, your advice has been good (so far!)

It`s great the cap fit so well! Your son should really be watching where he`s going, at 40 mph things can happen fast! :laugh:
My deck ended up slightly higher too, I guess due to the extra layers of fiberglass.

Mikeo, I gave my deck a slight deflection in the center to facilitate drainage. So the stringers are at the correct height, but the sides are slightly higher than the original design.

That happened to my bow cap too..I agree...I too listened to that dumb ole okie..He is full of hot air....but I trust him explicitly!! Mine had quite a gap & I was able to fill it with PB when I did the final "flip" (gravity making it easier that way). I would trade the gap for the bulked up transom ANY DAY! You'll figure out how to address that in due time. Personally, I think you didn't clamp enough...yup...that's the real problem here, Mr. Clampett! Now quit wasting our time and get back to the boat buildin'. Oh and I see one more problem...you forgot to install the gas pedal! vroom-vroom

I already have an idea of how I will deal with the gap, but that is a problem for another day! I agree with you, the beefy transom is worth a little remodeling in other places! One of my biggest fears in this project is that I won't clamp something good enough!:D​

Yeah, and what's with that real Boat Seat. Doncha knoz yer spoze to use folding chairz ducked taped 2 duh floor???

The PO told me that he just sat on his cooler! :facepalm: Not that there is anything wrong with that, I don't judge! The seat was free, so I figured what the heck!

folding chair? duck tape? you be high society...we just use 5 gal bucket...it's a chair, and a potty!

I have done that:facepalm:. Just be sure to put a trash bag into the bucket first!:D

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
As fast as your son was going he might better put a pfd and a racing helmet on ! He did have the racing gloves on though ... ;)
Better watch out on all the ol okie advice ... Ya might end up buying one of those old worn out sewing machines and join the sewing circle ! :eek:
I'll bet Woody even has a good recipe for some chicken pot pie ! :joyous:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
For all you Northerners I just found out about this distributor...
NEWinvoice.logo.jpg

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As fast as your son was going he might better put a pfd and a racing helmet on ! He did have the racing gloves on though ... ;)
Better watch out on all the ol okie advice ... Ya might end up buying one of those old worn out sewing machines and join the sewing circle ! :eek:
I'll bet Woody even has a good recipe for some chicken pot pie ! :joyous:

The Admiral volunteered to do my seats. But I do like pot pie...

For all you Northerners I just found out about this distributor...
NEWinvoice.logo.jpg

That is where I get my resin and other stuff. It's about 1/2 hour from my house, and their prices are good. Plus, no haz-mat fees! I got my glass from fiberglass supply depot.

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Made some progress on the boat again. Had truck issues that needed attention over the weekend, and then I had to wait for my son to have an evening off of work so that I could lift the motor and cap back off. He didn't work tonight, so I got the cap and motor off, and progress can resume. So I got the pucks PB'd back into the floor. Also got the bow eye mounted (temporarily) and an eye bolt in the transom (where the drain will be), in anticipation of a flip sometime in the (hopefully) near future.

Also, took the opportunity while I had the cap on and the motor hung on the back to do some measuring and planning and thinking. Am planning on a raised deck in the bow as well as the stern, probably about 12 inches above the deck, with anchor and battery storage in the bow, and gas tanks and hopefully a live well at the stern. Also still thinking on the seating arrangement.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Oh boy ! Flip coming soon !
Can't wait to see some awesome painting skills ! Get those arms all loosened up for some sanding ... :D

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I might think about some locktite and a nylon lock nut as a jam nut on the bow,.......

Mostly because I usually go for overkill,............

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It's really coming along nicely, superb workmanship! I like your raised deck ideas, you're really making this boat your own! :thumb::thumb:

Jared9220

Seaman
Very nice rebuild you have going on nurseman. I really like the way you measured and cut the new stringers and I think I'll use a similar method in my rebuild. Great work so far and I look forward to following your progress to the end result.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I might think about some locktite and a nylon lock nut as a jam nut on the bow,.......

Mostly because I usually go for overkill,............

I will probably use some locktite when I make it permanent, but it is just in for the flip, it has to come back out for painting.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's really coming along nicely, superb workmanship! I like your raised deck ideas, you're really making this boat your own! :thumb::thumb:

Thanks, Mr. psycho. Been thinking about design a lot lately, got lots of cardboard stockpiled to do some mockups:happy:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Very nice rebuild you have going on nurseman. I really like the way you measured and cut the new stringers and I think I'll use a similar method in my rebuild. Great work so far and I look forward to following your progress to the end result.

Thanks Jared! It worked out really well to do the stringers like that. I have been having a blast with this rebuild.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oh boy ! Flip coming soon !
Can't wait to see some awesome painting skills ! Get those arms all loosened up for some sanding ... :D

Already looking forward to sanding:crazy: Been messing around with some paint colors as well.