'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Yup....it's the Sam & Lisa show....wait a minute? ....the Lisa & Sam show...yeah that's better! One day, Sam & I are gonna meet...we only live about 5 hrs from each other. Should be fun. I'll send you tickets to the show. Awe, heck...if we do a Monday night show, free entry to everyone who donates a clamp! (...and you better have meant to say, "I gotta go watch Caddyshack, AGAIN!" Don't even tell me you've never seen it before. My God, son...were you raised in a basement?)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah Lisa would have to be the headliner . She's much funnier than me . I,m a light weight . I have the feeling if we sat next to each other in school we would end up in detention a LOT !!

Amazing work, great entertainment, and very educational. I will be attempting a project/modification real soon. And will need this and more to help me through it.

Elwendiguy

Recruit
Great work! I am currently head first in a similar project and you have given me a ton of great ideas on how solve some issues I am having. I am looking forward to the rest of the thread

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A little progress tonight. Got the rest of the foam in, and repaired the outer skin on the transom.

The foam aftermath

The transom repair. My layup schedule was CSM, 1708, CSM, CSM, done wet-on-wet. I stretched painters plastic over the repair and removed all the air bubbles with the bubble buster roller and a bondo spreader. Hopefully that will keep air off of it and allow for a full cure. We will see what it looks like tomorrow!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yup....it's the Sam & Lisa show....wait a minute? ....the Lisa & Sam show...yeah that's better! One day, Sam & I are gonna meet...we only live about 5 hrs from each other. Should be fun. I'll send you tickets to the show. Awe, heck...if we do a Monday night show, free entry to everyone who donates a clamp! (...and you better have meant to say, "I gotta go watch Caddyshack, AGAIN!" Don't even tell me you've never seen it before. My God, son...were you raised in a basement?)

Yes I meant to say AGAIN!!! But I did have a basement bedroom :rolleyes:, which now that I think about it, might explain some things...:lol:

Yeah Lisa would have to be the headliner . She's much funnier than me . I,m a light weight . I have the feeling if we sat next to each other in school we would end up in detention a LOT !!

You two certainly keep me laughing!:D:eyebrows:​

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Amazing work, great entertainment, and very educational. I will be attempting a project/modification real soon. And will need this and more to help me through it.

Thanks overmyheadboater! If no one has said it yet, Welcome to iboats! Lots of good info on this site, as well as people who are willing to share their knowledge! Start a thread, post lots of pictures, and ask lots of questions! Most importantly, have fun with it!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great work! I am currently head first in a similar project and you have given me a ton of great ideas on how solve some issues I am having. I am looking forward to the rest of the thread

Thanks Elwendiguy, glad to be able to help!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, it looks like that big ole' Gash got taken care of pretty well!!!! A Little sanding and Fairing and it'll be BETTER than New. NICE WORK!!!!

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been away from home for a few weeks...and come to see how you are going NM.........all I can say is WOW. very impressed all round. You may have found your vocation? Looking forward to the finished product as well as the ride along the way.

Using that many gallons has me rethinking my budget for my rebuild. 20 liters (5 gallons) with hardener cost around $200 here. Scared me a little with what I know I must do when the floor comes up on mine. Of course boat does stand for Bring On Another Thousand :facepalm:

Enjoying the read immensely.

Cheers From Tropical North Queensland OZ

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Holy cr*p! Nice work, I thought I had a bad case of rot and mush from the start, but this one really takes the prize. Ants and all....shivers. Great progress, keep it up man!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, it looks like that big ole' Gash got taken care of pretty well!!!! A Little sanding and Fairing and it'll be BETTER than New. NICE WORK!!!!

Thanks Woody! Your help was much appreciated!!!

Been away from home for a few weeks...and come to see how you are going NM.........all I can say is WOW. very impressed all round. You may have found your vocation? Looking forward to the finished product as well as the ride along the way.

Using that many gallons has me rethinking my budget for my rebuild. 20 liters (5 gallons) with hardener cost around $200 here. Scared me a little with what I know I must do when the floor comes up on mine. Of course boat does stand for Bring On Another Thousand :facepalm:

Enjoying the read immensely.

Cheers From Tropical North Queensland OZ

Welcome back Barramundi! Yea, The resin kinda gets used up quick!:eek: I'm working on my fourth bucket right now, and I'm not sure that will get me done with the deck and misc items. I figured 20 gallons would do it, but I'm not achieving the magical 4.2 yards/gallon with my resin. I can pick my resin up locally, so I avoid hazmat and shipping, but a 5gal pail + hardner + tax = $172. I try not to think about it...:faint2:​

Great progress! That transom repair looks mighty fine!

Thank you Mr. Psycho!

Holy cr*p! Nice work, I thought I had a bad case of rot and mush from the start, but this one really takes the prize. Ants and all....shivers. Great progress, keep it up man!

Thanks Red, glad you stopped by! She was quite the turd when I started, I'm starting to think that she might actually be a boat again! (someday)

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got some goodies yesterday.

Here is something weird. After I got done with the deck and foam, I noticed these waves in the gunwales. They weren't there before. I am puzzled as to what would cause this?

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
After spending some time thinking about it, I decided to install the rub rail backer strips and see if that would straighten the gunwales up. If it did not, I was going to set the cap on and make sure things were not all out of whack.

I cut the strips out and clamped them to the hull to see if it would be enough to correct the wave. WARNING, GRATUITOUS CLAMP PICS!!!:eek:

And still a few left over!

Those were especially for you friderday and sphelps!;)

I mixed up a batch of PB and used screws through the existing holes to clamp the backer onto the hull, then ran the fillet underneath right away. I think that the issue is corrected.

I think that I am gonna set the cap on her before I go any further, just to make sure.

Last edited:

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Clamp-town revisited....lol...yep, I think the cap refit is a good idea...just to see where you're at. Your restore continues to look the same as mine, only different! Actually, the boards on the rubrail area are identical. It's amazing how really thin they built these fiberglass boats. Mine was like a beer can(Old Milwaukee) when I gutted her. Couldn't even consider doing any rebuilding without firming up the glass...with more glass. The rubrail wood was my least favorite because of the fillet underneath & the laying of csm over it, including faring. What wood did you use and how'd you make the turns up toward the bow?

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Waves in the gunnels? I thought the waves were supposed to be under the hull. :pound:When in doubt ya gotta re-fit things to see where you are, setting the cap on is a good plan, Jed. :)

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Clamp-town revisited....lol...yep, I think the cap refit is a good idea...just to see where you're at. Your restore continues to look the same as mine, only different! Actually, the boards on the rubrail area are identical. It's amazing how really thin they built these fiberglass boats. Mine was like a beer can(Old Milwaukee) when I gutted her. Couldn't even consider doing any rebuilding without firming up the glass...with more glass. The rubrail wood was my least favorite because of the fillet underneath & the laying of csm over it, including faring. What wood did you use and how'd you make the turns up toward the bow?

Mine was so thin when I got done grinding that I was down to the gel in many, many spots. So some 1708 is in store for the gunwales, but I don't want to do that if they are all out of whack. I used 1/2 inch ply, ripped to 1[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]4[/SUB]. When I got to the sharp turn at the bow, I just spliced it. The cap has no screws right in the corners, and in those spots the glass was a respectable thickness. But everything else I just bent with clamps. The original backer was made of 6" pieces all the way around. (I was definitely not going to fart around doing that!)

Waves in the gunnels? I thought the waves were supposed to be under the hull. :pound:When in doubt ya gotta re-fit things to see where you are, setting the cap on is a good plan, Jed. :)

Yea, kinda puzzled as to why. As long as the cap fits, then I guess it doesn't really matter.