'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Terminology infraction!!! :facepalm: What can I say, I was tired, and I think I need new filters! Please note that I have re-phrased my statement to utilize the correct terminology!

Bah, I was just kiddin' ya.;)

Seems like there's a lot more floors in boats on this site than there is decks anyway.

One of these days I'm going to get me a boat with a floor in it and I'll be in with the in crowd.:cool:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Permission to come aboard. Just read through your whole thread. Absolutely amazing work so far. I am going to be following along till the end. I hope my stringers, transom , and deck turn out half as good on my Stratos.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Bah, I was just kiddin' ya.;)

Seems like there's a lot more floors in boats on this site than there is decks anyway.

One of these days I'm going to get me a boat with a floor in it and I'll be in with the in crowd.:cool:

Maybe it's only those tin boats that have decks, get yourself one of those really rotten glass boats, and then you can have a floor!!:laugh:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Permission to come aboard. Just read through your whole thread. Absolutely amazing work so far. I am going to be following along till the end. I hope my stringers, transom , and deck turn out half as good on my Stratos.

Welcome aboard tnstratofam, glad to have you along!

zool

Captain
Maybe it's only those tin boats that have decks, get yourself one of those really rotten glass boats, and then you can have a floor!!:laugh:

Over the years, ive ran across both tinners and glassers that can be real decks sometimes :rolleyes:

As you move up in boat size, you end up with a deck and a sole, and less of a chance of becoming a lost soul ;)

A floor is just the minimum price a marina will charge for a specific repair!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Time to start thinking about the inevitable trailer fixing. I have a question regarding trailers in general. I notice that almost everyone on this forum has bunks, and I am wondering if bunks are better than/preferable to rollers for a fiberglass boat? Here are some shots of my trailer.

From the front.

From the rear.

And the rollers.

I just want to get some feedback on which is the better set-up.

zool

Captain
I prefer the tandem roller type, but with the semi clear rollers like the center keel one on yours, its easier to launch at low tide, or shallow lake ramps.....the black rollers leave nasty marks ;)....plus I believe they secure the boat to the trailer better.....carpeted bunks are easier on the hull finish tho....and they are less expensive to buy and maintain...JMO

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I have a Combination!! Center Keel Rollers with Lifting Bunks!!! It's an amazing Trailer and I LOVE it. Plus it tilt's!!! I can load from the Dock or the Bank!!! If I had to choose, I'd go with a bunk trailer EVERY Time!!! I know in the long run they're much better for the hull due to the overall weight distrubution. With your skill set, And some help from a Welder, You could easily convert that trailer to a bunk trailer.;)

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nurseman......WOW, I just got caught up on your build, Man you are doing a fantastic job!!! Several times during the read, I thought dammit man, I wish I had done that!! keep up the good work!!!!

djm3801

Seaman
The comments here are a tribute to your care and skill - AND PATIENCE - with this restoration. The way the work is being documented in word and photo being read and appreciated by both experienced and newbie people. As a person who is embarking on a bit of a restoration myself, I have learned a great deal. Keep on with the story and thank you for the detail. I have been known to be a "measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe" person. Pieces or all of the data in this thread are useful to someone for something - especially the patience you take to do it right.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
iboats also has a trailers and towing forum in case you've overlooked it:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/general-boating-outdoors-activities/trailers-and-towing
It's a pretty active forum and may come in handy for parts finding if you need any.
Thanks Jig, I had not overlooked it. ;)

Nurseman......WOW, I just got caught up on your build, Man you are doing a fantastic job!!! Several times during the read, I thought dammit man, I wish I had done that!! keep up the good work!!!!

Thanks Cor, yours is looking pretty sweet as well.

The comments here are a tribute to your care and skill - AND PATIENCE - with this restoration. The way the work is being documented in word and photo being read and appreciated by both experienced and newbie people. As a person who is embarking on a bit of a restoration myself, I have learned a great deal. Keep on with the story and thank you for the detail. I have been known to be a "measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe" person. Pieces or all of the data in this thread are useful to someone for something - especially the patience you take to do it right.

Thanks for the kind words djm. I am glad to be able to contribute something to the forum. It is nice to be able to see so many different approaches to doing things, and then use the methods that work best for your particular project.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Weekend progress, Deck is in. I started by deciding to add some reinforcement to the underside of the deck where the seats will bolt down. The problem is that I don't know where exactly that will be. I am going to revamp the cap, and the design is still is a fluid state. So I added reinforcement down the entire length. I added another layer of 1/2 in with a 45deg bevel all around to ease the glass. This gives me a 1" thick deck under any potential seat attachment areas. Here is the glue process.

and the pieces after glassing

The drawback to this was that I now had an 8' by 6' piece of plywood to wrestle into the boat! Good thing that my inlaws live with me, so my FIL and oldest son were drafted into service this afternoon to help with the install. Here then is the installed deck, with holes drilled for the pouring of foam.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow ! You are gettin down ! Almost like ya want to go wet a line soon ! Are you going to screw the deck down or glue or both ?
Nice work !

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
I like the additional deck thickness for the seats, 1/2" just doesn't offer enough fastener bite.

The foam holes look like you have a clan of Prairie Dogs living under your deck. :D

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I really like the double thick, reinforced areas under the deck, this could come in handy in the future some time if you ever want to change your seating arrangement or fasten anything else to the deck. She's lookin pretty spiffy with a flat place to stand!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow ! You are gettin down ! Almost like ya want to go wet a line soon ! Are you going to screw the deck down or glue or both ?
Nice work !

I always want to go wet a line! The deck is glued down with a nice thick bead of PB, and then screwed along the seams and just a few in the field. I gobbed some PB onto the screw threads, ran them in, and then spread PB over the top. I hope they never have to come out!!:D

I like the additional deck thickness for the seats, 1/2" just doesn't offer enough fastener bite.

The foam holes look like you have a clan of Prairie Dogs living under your deck. :D

Yea, lags will rip right out of 1/2 ply. The holes are the newest thing in boat "floors" :laugh:. I did the foam in between the stringers before I installed the deck, and I noticed that it expands towards open space, so I am hoping to be able to get the foam to expand into all the nooks and crannies by putting the holes in as many spots as is feasible (plus a few extra for kicks)

I really like the double thick, reinforced areas under the deck, this could come in handy in the future some time if you ever want to change your seating arrangement or fasten anything else to the deck. She's lookin pretty spiffy with a flat place to stand!

Yea, especially since I am not sure on my design yet, having the flexibility to move things around is nice. I did actually get a seat out and set it in about the drivers position for a little bit, and yea, I made motor sounds too:facepalm:.

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
What's yer hurry, boy? Tryin' to show all us old geezers up? How much did it kill ya' to put holes in a perfectly perfect deck? That, by far, was the most disturbing thing I ever did in the boat restoration arena. Just made no sense. Like them there people that jump out of perfectly good airplanes...yup...no sense. Hear that?...I think it's the song from Caddyshack when the critter does all the damage..."I'm alright...don't nobody worry 'bout me....." From now on you are no longer Mr. Clampett...I shall call you Carl Spackler! Good work....Carl!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Carl Spackler !! :pound: Wup ! She got all a dat one ! :D Now he's gotta kill all the golfers !

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What's yer hurry, boy? Tryin' to show all us old geezers up? How much did it kill ya' to put holes in a perfectly perfect deck? That, by far, was the most disturbing thing I ever did in the boat restoration arena. Just made no sense. Like them there people that jump out of perfectly good airplanes...yup...no sense. Hear that?...I think it's the song from Caddyshack when the critter does all the damage..."I'm alright...don't nobody worry 'bout me....." From now on you are no longer Mr. Clampett...I shall call you Carl Spackler! Good work....Carl!

It was indeed difficult, but it will be better in the long run (I hope!) You don't by any chance moonlight as a stand-up comic do ya? :laugh::highly_amused:​

Carl Spackler !! :pound: Wup ! She got all a dat one ! :D Now he's gotta kill all the golfers !

Ha! You and friderday should go on the road together! Always good for a laugh! Now I gotta go watch Caddyshack!