'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hello iboaters,
I have had this boat for about four years. I was going to replace a piece of floor that the PO had "repaired", and I came upon this site while I was looking up information about marine grade plywood. It didn't take long to realize that I would have to replace much, much more than just a piece of floor. I started the demolition process last summer, but had to put it on the way back burner until last month. I will post pictures of the progress that I made until I am up to date. I have learned a lot by lurking and reading, and I look forward to learning from everyone one here also.

Here is a pic of her when I first got her.

and a couple of the cradle that I set her on

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Welcome to the drydock and good luck! With that cradle the hull isin't going anywhere. Looking forward to watching your progress.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks, Rickmerrill! I have a bunch more pictures to post when I get a couple of spare moments.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got a few minutes, so here are some more pictures of my deconstruction process. After I got the cradle built, I removed the cap.

not sure why I had the urge to do it in the dark :confused: :rolleyes:

I was thinking of growing new stringers, but decided I didn't want to wait...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The transom was completely gone, with "repairs" being done over old "repairs". I am so glad that I never actually put this thing in the water! I'm not sure what was holding up the motor!

This was the view under the splash well before I lifted the cap. This was one of the "repairs"

This is what I saw when I started removing the cap. I think I could have spread this on the admirals flower garden!

The "repair" exposed.

At first I thought that this plate on the stern was from the factory

But, after prying it off, I realized that it was another "repair"

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ants anyone? When I put this in my shop when I first brought it home, I suddenly noticed carpenter ants all over the shop. Since the boat was the only thing new, I sprayed some ant killer in the boat, and killed thousands of ants. I repeated this about three more times until no more ants were lying in the bilge after spraying. I have never seen so many dead ants. As I was tearing things apart, I found the ant nest.

The entire foam block on the port side looked like swiss cheese.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here is a shot of the inside of the transom after I had it cleaned up.

I have a question about the plywood block on the hull. I assume that is for mounting a bilge pump to? My boat didn't have one originally, but it seems like it might be a good idea to put one in? Thoughts on this anyone?

Another thing that had me puzzled as I was tearing it apart is this layer of foam. I am assuming it was for structural rigidity, especially because the outer hull is really thin! Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? The entire hull above the deck was like this.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Can someone please tell me how to have the link to my thread appear at the bottom of my posts?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey nurseman, Welcome to iBoats!!!

She's Quite a PROJECT!!! I can already tell you're the TYPE!!! You're gunna do just fine!!! We're here to help so keep postin pics and askin questions and we'll do what we can. The foam on the sides of the hull is primarily for sound dampening and some stiffening. I'd recommend using the 1/4" or 1/2" slab foam from the Big Box stores and gluing it on when you go back.

Can someone please tell me how to have the link to my thread appear at the bottom of my posts?

To put your link in your signature line click on your Login Name in the upper right portion of the screen, User Settings, Account, Scroll down to "Conversation Detail Options", Edit Post Signature

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks Wood! I appreciate the help! I can use my computer, but I don't understand it! How did you get your link to be a hyperlink without actually posting the URL address?
Regarding the sides of the boat, I was thinking of laying at least one layer of 1708 over the sides to give it some strength, because it is about 1/8 inch (or less) thick right now. Do you think that one layer is enough, or would two be better?
I have read through your thread, and learned a ton. I was a carpenter for about 22 years, so I appreciate your wood working skills.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
To make a Hyperlink you copy the link from the address line in the browser. then in the User Settings that I explained type the text you want to use as the link then Click the A in the menu for the advanced menu. When it comes open click the chain link and in that window Paste the link you copied from the browser. Thats it.
You can put 1708 on the hull sides if you want to but, Gluing the foam on should be more than adequate. It'll stiffen it up more than you think.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I finished the tearing apart in august of 2013, and then had to put the boat away so that I could complete my final year of nursing school. (hence the name) I started working on her again after my graduation in May. Nothing takes your mind off of studying for your state boards like grinding a little glass.
I started by chipping as much tabbing off as I could before starting to grind.

I didn't want to grind outside because I didn't want dust on everything, so I left her in the shop and rigged up a little dust collection tent.

Worked like a charm! Although I was amazed at how much dust that created. I think I filled about half of a 33 gallon trash can with dust!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
And before anyone yells about PPE, here it is! Here is a shout out to GT1M for the tip about the baby powder on your skin first!
I used ear plugs, a spray sock, LOTS of baby powder, and a full tyvek suit with the cuffs taped to socks and gloves. I didn't have too much itching...

I won't lie, I'm glad to be done with that!!!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
THAT ^^^ Is one nice job of Grinding a hull. You made quick work of it too! What did you use. Details will help the next guys to know what to do. The Tent is GREAT, Just GREAT!!!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks Rick and Wood! If I had to do it again, I would make a booth like Archbuilder made to paint his boat, but I didn't come across his thread until after I had this built. However, this did work well. I used painters plastic and super 77 spray adhesive to keep the seems together. These were my weapons

This rounded flapper disk came in handy for grinding out the keel and getting into rounded corners.

These bad boys are awesome! I used about 15 of the 24 grit disks

And since using the sanding disks requires that you remove the guard, I recommend extreme caution and a pair of these

I just used a box with a hole cut out the size of a furnace filter screwed to a piece of osb cut out for one of my fans.

I did the grinding in several sessions of about 3 hours each. I wanted to do it in one shot, but that was all that my back could take, so I had to do it in smaller chunks.

Last edited: