1979 14' sears game fisher with 5.5 evinrude johnson outboard.

bestrongpt

Cadet
Hi guys,

New to the forum and boating. I have a chance to get a 1979 14' sears game fisher with 5.5 evinrude johnson outboard. So the guy is offering to trade me for my services as a personal trainer. It would be a total of 17 hours worth of training for the boat with engine and trailer. The engine is old but super clean and the boat is pretty good I actually need to look it over a little more. Is this a good deal for me to get my first boat? Is this boat pretty stable?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Your pics did not post. Don't know what you charge for your services but I'd guess-ti-mate the value of this rig if it was in Average condition to be some where in the $500-$750 range. If you think your services are worth around that then I'd say go for it. Being able to see the pics would help us a lot.

bestrongpt

Cadet
*BUMP* If anyone sees this and know anything I'd greatly appreciate the advice. Need To make deal soon.

jbcurt00

Staff member
try using photobucket

The glitches that continue to plaque the forum, after a software update, are causing problems w/ posting pix.

Upload your pix there, then copy the IMG code for a pix & paste them in your reply.

IMG code looks like this:
IMG]http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/other%20people%20boats%20or%20pix%20info/hump-day_zpsac98e868.jpg[/IMG
& pix show up IN your post rather then as attachments that need to be opened:
hump-day_zpsac98e868.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
You could also post a link to the boat's ad. To date I've not heard of a single boat being snagged out from under someone when they posted an ad for purchase input.

I just paid $350 for a decent 14ft'r that needs a little work to get the trailer & a GREAT running 1958 5.5hp Evinrude. He was only asking $450..........

Like WOG said, is 17hrs of your time worth what you perceive the boat, motor & hopefully trailer are valued at to you.

At $20/hr you're doing pretty good if the boat's decent. At $40/hr you'd do better to charge for your training services & shop for a different boat.

DONT forget titles & registration paperwork. If the boat doesn't have them, or your state requires them for trailers & outboards, it can be time consuming & difficult to get legal ownership if there's no paper trail............

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I know nothing about prices for a rig like that (but it feels a bit high to me) but I'm doubting a 5.5 hp would be able to get it up on a plane and that reduces your range quite a bit. OTOH, I love how functional a boat like that is and simple to maintain. I can see myself in something similar when I downsize.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you LIKE a dark green boat (I wouldn't) I'd suggest you're 'making' $100/hr at his asking price. It's really irrelevant what # he's asking, if you're swapping goods for service, it's more about what you normally charge for 17hrs of training.

If you have to gear up, travel to his location, unload/setup your gear, train him for an hour (this is the ONLY hour you'd be charging him) and reverse the process leaving, then It'd depend on your travel time & etc. That make it about $35/hr all in if your commute is more then 30min. Is THAT ok w/ you?

If so, AND the motor runs great & there's no leaks in the boat, and you LIKE the GREEN, sure why not...

What do other 14ftr's w/ OB run in your neck of the woods?

Here, to me, in WV, painted green, w/ an undersized OB, if the paperwork (boat, motor & trailer) is in order, I might go $500, but I'm cheap. Trading 17hrs of work w/ a 30min+ commute each way, 17 times, nope, not a chance. No paperwork means my offer would be $300-325, if it's a RUNNING OB.

The boat is probably rated for a 7.5hp (if it's a very shallow, narrow, lightweight gauge tinny) to a 15hp (or more) if it's a fairly substantial & WIDE tinny. My guess would be a 10-12hp max.

A 5.5hp will get you were you want to go, but not particularly quickly. W/ a light load & flat water, the 5.5hp might get it to plane, might not.

My 12ft Sylvan is wide & substantial, and the 1958 Evinrude 5.5hp does OK w/ me & the Admiral aboard. No real complaints, but it doesn't get up on plane while underway. So I plan to put a 9.9hp on it in August.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That IS an exceptionally Clean looking Gamefisher. I do not think it's $1,700 dollars Clean. It might be 1/2 of that. As stated, since it's a trade of your time and efforts for his boat then it's totally your decision. But for a CASH deal... Here in Okie Land that would be a $800 to MAYBE $1,000 package. Just remember Asking and getting ARE 2 different things.

bestrongpt

Cadet
Thanks for the input guys. I live in california so everything is more expensive and the price is pretty similar to others on craigslist. My thing is that my boss who owns the gym is allowing to use the gym for the trade if I decide to do it. Normally I only get paid $20/hr. I'd be training him at the gym I work at full time so I'm going to be there already anyway. He just happens to live within eye site of the gym as well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, in that case ^^^. It sounds like and excellent Deal!!! If you want the boat, I'd say...Go For It!!!:D

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think you're looking at your next boat! Be sure to ask about any accessories that come with it, he might have some life jackets, paddles that stuff adds up. I'd want to see and hear the motor run. Just think, if you find any issues you can "tailor the training" 17 times!

bestrongpt

Cadet
Thanks a lot guys I think I'm going to do the deal. Going to do one last look over of everything. Yes is throwing a few things in like an anchor, oar, and another thing or two I forget. And he just fixed the trailer so it looks almost new. Has new lighting, wiring, rims and tires, paint....How many people can safely ride in this boat?

bestrongpt

Cadet
Oh and exactly if there are issues it's not like I won't be seeing him for a while during the sessions and could torture a little extra if necessary lol.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
How many people can safely ride in this boat?

It depends. If they're "Big ole' Boys" like me prolly 2. If they're "Skinny Ninny's" then 3. In other words I'd guess-ti-mate that you would not want to put more than 6-700 lbs of weight in her.

This will help you understand things a bit more...
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]Boat builders must comply with Federal law by putting a Capacity Plate in sight of the helm (steering area) on motorized boats less than 20 feet in length. This plate displays three important items: the maximum weight of persons on board in pounds, the maximum carrying weight of the vessel in pounds and the maximum horsepower recommended for the boat.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]
capplate.gif
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]If you own a boat that was built prior to the Federal law mandating capacity plates, or have a homemade boat, the following formulas can be used to determine safe loading capacity.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]Formulas for Safe Loading[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]Horsepower Capacity
for small, flat-bottom boats:
Multiply boat length (ft) times transom width (ft)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]Person Capacity:
Average weight per person is 150 lbs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]If answer is:
35 or less
36-39
40-42
43-45
46-52[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]Maximum HP is:
15[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva](Boat length
X
Boat width)
15[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]=
Number of
people[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]Note: for flat bottom, hard chine boats, with an answer of 52 or less, reduce one increment (e.g. 5 to 3)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]Boat length and width are measured in feet. Round fractions down to next lower number.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]Remember that you need to keep everything in the boat balanced - this includes people, pets, coolers, etc.. Even if your boat has the capacilty to carry a few people and a few coolers filled with soda, you don't want everyone sitting together on one side. You should also secure your gear, so it doesn't all slide to one side if a boat passing you creates a wake or you become unbalanced for some reason.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva]Also, in a small boat, it is best to remain low and toward the center.[/FONT]

bestrongpt

Cadet
Perfect!! Thanks for the information. Ya I'm not to big sitting around 215 myself and my fishing buddy is only around 180...Guess the wives have to stay behind though because I think 3 people is a max...