restore wellcraft boat

cpnthrfan

Seaman
I just received an older Wellcraft small boat with a 40hp Johnson motor. Most of it seems good shape but it will need a new floor. I will have slot of questions and post alot of pics. Is there a way to post pics from my phone? And my floor seems to be a vinyl covering, can I just put plywood over it? It only has a small hole in it but is from a foot going through. Thanks for any help. ~Walt

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
You're going to need to remove your decking and see what else is rotten underneath it.

cpnthrfan

Seaman
The vinyl is on the sides of the boat too should I just cut it with a razor knife? I don't see any seams

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Post pictures of your boat for the best help, it lets us see what you have to work with and we can make the best suggestions.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The forum is really not Phone friendly. Prolly best way is to Open a free Photobucket account, upload pics to there from your phone then use the IMG Code from Photobucket to copy and paste your pics into iBoats.

cpnthrfan

Seaman
i can use any help on what you see. what model maybe year (pic). i can take pics of what ever is needed or if you see any other concerns

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
She's a bloody rotter for sure!

... but she's wide open and will be easy to work on. You'll need to remove all the decking and whatever may be left of the stringers and put it all back new. She'll also need a new transom. As rotten as she is everything ought to tear out real easy.

That isn't vinyl on the deck, it looks like old gel coated fiberglass.

cpnthrfan

Seaman
so can it be seperated from the sides? or should it be removed also? can i put the same stuff back? or do something else to the sides and floors

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Is the engine ok? A stringer runs front to back and supports the deck and hull bottom. Bulkheads go across the hull. The stringers, bulkheads, transom and deck in this boat are most likely wood and that wood is most likely rotten and will all need to be removed and replaced.

cpnthrfan

Seaman
Is the engine ok? A stringer runs front to back and supports the deck and hull bottom. Bulkheads go across the hull. The stringers, bulkheads, transom and deck in this boat are most likely wood and that wood is most likely rotten and will all need to be removed and replaced.
The engine is suppose to be fine but it was last started 3 years .ago. It's a Johnson super sea horse 40. I will need help starting it too since the ignition switch does not work

cpnthrfan

Seaman
i guess this is the splash well, will it have to come out to replace the transom? and how should i?

this is under the bow its going to be reall fun working under there. the ladder supports are broken but im sure i can fix those

this area i wonder if i shoudl add more vertical support to hold the weight of a human or just stay off of it

and any ideal what these are for|

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
i guess this is the splash well, will it have to come out to replace the transom? and how should i?

this is under the bow its going to be reall fun working under there. the ladder supports are broken but im sure i can fix those

this area i wonder if i shoudl add more vertical support to hold the weight of a human or just stay off of it

and any ideal what these are for|

You're going to have to remove the motor, steering cables, and motor controls. Then you can either remove the top cap on the boat or cut the cap in front of the splashwell and just remove the splashwell section of the cap. If you remove the cap it'll make it easier to work on the bow area too.

Since there's a ladder coming down from the enclosed bow it may be strong enough to walk on. I'd look at what supports that area underneath to check for rot and see what kind of design you have.

The little chrome frame was either a light or reflector.

I'm not that familiar with Johnson controls but I think that broken red lever is your "neutral" lever. Pulling the lever back to the "start" position puts the motor in neutral to start the boat out of gear. Pushing the lever forward after the motor is started puts the boat in gear.

While you're reading and studying the forum, I'd go ahead and start tearing out that old decking to see what evils lie below deck. Wear a dust mask and gloves, there's some pretty nasty mold and mildew in that junk. After you get everything torn out give that boat a good cleaning/washing so you can see what you have.

cpnthrfan

Seaman
I'm still trying to figure out the model of this boat. Someone has it narrowed down to 72. But until I figure out how the seats were. I may just use 2 swivel seats up front and 2 hand made bench seats in the back. Made from plywood cover in turf or carpet.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
That's one of the great things about restoring your own boat, you can design the inside any way you want to suit your individual needs.