84' Sylvan Sportmaster 18.5 rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velislide

Seaman Apprentice
Well, this spring started by knocking down some of that old carpet glue after ripping off that terrible carpeting job someone did. I'm not expert myself lol, but wow was it bad. Luckily a friend let me use the garage to get some work done.

20150512_204408.jpg

Cut some new side panels and gave them a coat of helmsman, and rustoleum after.

20150524_034658.jpg

Picked up some audio stuff for the boat, ended up not using the two 8" subs, since the 6.5s alone with the amp pounded pretty good.

My fancy panel work, lol. Hole is for the live well overflow drain.

I also decided I kind of wanted a larger rear bench, for laying across, sitting on, and something I can mount pedestals to also when needed. So came up with this.

20150518_001101.jpg

20150527_225309.jpg

Finally started to put things together and get some carpeting done. All the floor surfaces are 20oz carpet from Boatcarpet, and the rest was from menards since I figure it would not see as much traffic or wear and tear.

20150604_225109.jpg

Sanded the consoles & livewell down, primed bare aluminum with etch primer, and primed again with regular primer, and painted with rustoleum. Turned out pretty decent for a dirt cheap paint job, and best part is any touch ups will be super simple.

20150611_182700.jpg

Started working on building a console for my head unit and amp, since I didnt like where they originally had it mounted in between the two consoles. Had my girlfriend do some painting with the rustoleum, to help protect the wood surface facing outward, even though it would be carpeted.

20150611_230511.jpg

After a little more work on it, head unit is slightly recessed so no one will bump the buttons or knob, and amp is further in with two vents on the sides, for air and wiring.

20150614_173322.jpg

Finished product lol, amp is enclosed with lexan. Turned out pretty good for my first attempt at something like this.

IMG_5288.jpg

20150619_220438.jpg

Also started to build some panels that sit on each side of the head unit console.

20150703_225337.jpg

20150704_214725.jpg

They basically slide straight in and sit against some 1x2's, nice and snug. Worked out nice.

20150705_010752.jpg

And thats pretty much it so far! Still need to do more console work, wiring, gauges, new seats, and on and on.

Velislide

Seaman Apprentice
Not a problem, thinking next summer I'll be redoing to paint on the boat. Planning on using polycuramine, from those two part rocksolid garage floor coatings. Stuff is crazy tough.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I tried to download both a brochure and an installation pdf from the Rocksolid site. Both links were dead.....

Doesn't seem to be an aluminum boat rated coating. How did you plan to prep the hull, and what primer under the R/S coating?

Anything thats a super tough coating can be difficult to touch up, or remove if it ever has to be.

How did you learn about R/S and decide to try and use it on your boat?

FWIW, I used to work for a company that sold a similar product, and a truck bedliner type product, both of which where promoted by the supplier's rep as a coating for use on the inside and on the outside of boats. I wouldn't sell it as either, nor would I have done my boat w/ either product, although 2 guys from the shop did their own boats while we were training our crew to apply them.

EDIT: It's a Rustoleum product.....

Last edited:

sublauxation

Lieutenant
What size ply did you use on the deck? Another guy doing the same boat said his was origianlly 1/2" but that seems really thin. Your's looks thicker, is it 5/8 or 3/4 and did you use the same thickness it originally came with? I bought mine as an empty hull so I never had anything original to go by.
Thanks!

Velislide

Seaman Apprentice
I used 3/4 decking, wanted it to feel solid. Also rocksolid garage floor coatings are branded by rustoleum, but are from a commercial floor coating company previously.

J.herman

Recruit
Jusy curious how easy it was to replace floor and what put new carpet in first time buying a boat and have a few soft spots figured it could be my winter peoject and i like the way you did yours with the speakers and a area to lay in the back also any pointers you can give would be awsome

Status
Not open for further replies.