thompson cutlass 170 motor mount collapsed, help!!

sbx355

Recruit
good evening to all,
I am new to the forum and am in search of some help. I recently just picked up a 1990 thompson cutlass 170 with a 2.5 merc. the owner before me was selling the boat because a couple weeks ago they were out on the lake and the boat started "reving and going nowhere" so upon inspection they found that the front motor mount had failed and resulted in the motor dropping about 1/2-1" and believe it damaged the coupler. when you start it real quick there is a loud growning/grinding and the smell of rubber. i ran the boat for about 25 seconds just to verify it ran and motor sounded ok. outdrive was serviced at the beginiing of the season and seams to be in good shape. I have an automotive backround and am very mechanicaly inclined but am still learning more and more about the boat world everyday. my problem is i need to remove the motor. ( which looks like an easy job compared to a car or truck) and asses the damage to coupler and other components and put together a plan to fix the motor mount.I have a friend who is a marine mechanic so im sure the coupler isnt going to be too bad, he said i needed and alignment rod and that he had one. As far as the motor mount...... the front mount seems to sit on a fibergrass/wooden "shelf" that runs straight across the bottom of the hull probably a foot on each side from the center line of the hull. my problen is i dont know that correct height for the motor mount... it appears that the mount/shelf is still in place but just collapsed. im hoping when i pull the motor out i will be able to investigate and find something to use for reference to make sure i rebuild the mountshelf back up to the correct height. any ideas on where i could find measurements other than another boat? if i could track down another one of these boats somehow i would try but none are up on craigslist so ill just have to wait.... any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, sbx. In my opinion, removing the motor is going to be the easy part. The hard part will be replacing all the rotted wood in the boat, not just the motor mount. The rotted mount is probably just the first symptom of deeper problems.
To answer how high the "shelf" should be is easy to determine. Remove the outdrive and use the your friend's alignment bar and lift the motor until you have good alignment. Take some measurements and build to make those measurements. It doesn't have to be prefect because the mount on the motor is adjustable. But, as I said, you have a lot to go before putting the motor back in. I hope you got a good deal on the boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Like GAB says...If the MM has rotted and collapsed you should really investigate the stringers, bulkheads and transom too. You did not tell us how old she is but I suspect she has some age on her and if so, she prolly needs more than just a MM rebuild.