Advice on sun pad restoration

bako88fan

Cadet
Hi all. I have a 94 Sea Ray 220BR (same boat as FriscoJarrett) at I'm rebuilding the rear sun pad. I used 3/4" marine plywood to build the platform/frame. The original ply was 1/2". I have new 3" foam ready and new marine vinyl to wrap it all up with. The original platform was definitely marine ply but it wasn't epoxy painted or coated in fiberglass. It doesn't look like it was treated at all and lasted 20 years. I expect to keep this boat another 10 years. Would anyone coat the ply in anything like fiberglass resin or Thompsons? I don't want to add a bunch of weight to the platform because it is held up in by two hydraulic rams and a hinge. I appreciate the advice.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd coat it with this.mixture 33% Boiled Linseed Oil, 33% Mineral Spirits and 33% Marine Varnish Saturate the wood with it until it won't soak it up any longer. Let it dry for two days and The apply 2 coats of full Strength Marine Varnish. Do this and the wood will never absorb moisture. OR...Do nothing at all. If you always maintain your boat well and never leave her exposed to the elements, then the Marine Grade plywood will hold up well all by itself.

bako88fan

Cadet
I'd coat it with this.mixture 33% Boiled Linseed Oil, 33% Mineral Spirits and 33% Marine Varnish Saturate the wood with it until it won't soak it up any longer. Let it dry for two days and The apply 2 coats of full Strength Marine Varnish. Do this and the wood will never absorb moisture. OR...Do nothing at all. If you always maintain your boat well and never leave her exposed to the elements, then the Marine Grade plywood will hold up well all by itself.

Thanks for the advice. It doesn't sound like that mixture and the two coats of varnish will add much weight at all to the platform. Thanks!