1998 Sea Ray 185BR Interior Tidy Up

Saxon11

Cadet
Hello all,

I've been lurking around for a while and was lucky enough to be able to purchase our first boat just over a year ago. The family and i have enjoyed the experience of being out fishing and swimming off the boat in Port Phillip Bay here in Victoria, Australia but we have also been working out what would our experience a little better.

Our boat is a 1998 Sea Ray 185BR and its job is to take me, my wife and 3 kids on adventures and i also enjoy tinkering so i figure why not invest time in something that the whole family can get enjoyment from.

Here she is when we first got her:

She's on a different trailer now, and now has a Stainless 21 Pitch prop too which made her feel like a different boat. But the real reason for the post is the interior and what i have decided to do to improve that area a bit. She's a bit tired and the carpet was looking decidedly ratty so i have taken the plunge and started stripping her back inside.

Before any work started:

After some research i had read the this era Sea Ray has a liner fitted inside which seems to all be in good condition and seems to have protected the main structure of flooring etc, but down the centre covering the fuel tank and holding up the bulkhead ( i assume that's what you call it) was untreated plywood and a plastic type ski locker cover.

This pic is the already removed plywood that was holding up the bulkhead, there is now a steel bar holding it in position temporarily.

Some other shots of the clean up process (you'll notice where the above plywood was but the carpet is covering it in this pic):

Cleaning off the carpet adhesive:

My aim with this make over is to have a fully gel-coated deck and put some snap in carpet in place, like the modern versions have, so for this reason i would like some advice on how best to achieve this with the replacement of the above mentioned plywood.

I have put together some replacement plywood for the bulkhead, but would like to know how best to waterproof this and achieve the fully gel-coated finish. I understand ideally fibreglassing this board would be best, but i'm not sure what exactly would be required. Epoxy or Polyester, and what would be the best way to get the desired finish.

This board will be pushed under the bulkhead once finished properly with the raised section providing extra support:

I thought this would be the best place to ask, and would also appreciate any advice that can be offered. Hopefully this may be interesting for others who have similar queries.

I know it would be easier to re-carpet, but i'm not afraid to have a crack and spruce her up a bit.

Last edited:

Saxon11

Cadet
One more query if i may, can i apply Gelcoat (or similar finish) to the existing ski locker or am i better go with a fibreglassed plywood cover the same as the fuel tank cover? Or do you think i could cover this locker with a thin veneer of plywood and fibreglass and finish as per the rest of the floor.

This is the ski locker (not prepared or cleaned, just with the carpet ripped off):

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Welcome to the forum and you found the right place. To waterproof the plywood many use polyester with a layer of CSM. Since it's part of the deck make it two layers. You could use epoxy but really not necessary and gelcoat is poly based so you can't put it over it. You'd need to use another product to finish the deck. I think the plastic ski locker may be a bit of a problem, you'll need to find something that bonds to it. Some experimentation may be in order. Also might look into a replacement hatch, it would give a nice finished look. Nice looking boat, good luck!

Saxon11

Cadet
Thanks for the advice Rick, much appreciated. It seems the Polyester fiberglass is easier to source locally to me than the Epoxy anyway so that's good news :)

As far as "another product to finish the deck" , is gelcoat not a good option (taking the ski locker out of the equation)?

Rickmerrill

I should mention that you want to find a marine quality resin and it should be a laminating resin (air inhibited) that remains tacky once it sets up. This will give you time to put on the second layer of CSM and then the gelcoat. On the last coat of gelcoat you will use a wax additive or PVA so the top surface hardens. Woodonglass has a primer on "Fabricating Decks, Stringers and Transoms", the decks portion should be useful to you (see post 622). There are also some videos I like that cover gelcoating you might find interesting. Links follow. Ok, link follows, having trouble adding the second link; will add the second link in seperate post.

Saxon11

Cadet
Great, thanks for those links. Will grab a beverage tonight and watch them ;)

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Welcome!!! Rick, pretty much answered your questions, but I would second the Polly and CSM!!

Are you wanting to re-carpet or gelcoat the deck?

Saxon11

Cadet
Cheers Corjen, I'm looking to have a Gel coated deck, and get some snap in carpet made for it.

I'll have to tidy up the existing liner, as I have noticed some tiny cracks in the existing gel coat after cleaning the glue off, as well as make the new panel to support the bulkhead, a panel to cover the fuel tank and its looking like making a new ski locker cover as well.

I'll get some pics over the weekend of the cracks i found in the liner after cleaning, i don't think I'll get much done this weekend, but I'm hoping to source some Poly & CSM next week for the following weekend. Until then all I can really do is keep cleaning, although i can sand down the sharp edges of the replacement bulkhead support in preparation for glassing....

Rickmerrill

Googled Port Phillip Bay yesterday and it looks like you have a wonderful boating area with lots of adventures in your family's future!

Just want to mention I am no expert so you have been forewarned. That CSM is not going to want to go over the edges of your ply without a fight and you want to get the plywood completely sealed up, especially the edges. In my '94 Crownline restore thread Woodonglass has some good tips on the subject. Also, a lightweight fiberglass cloth as a third layer on the top would give you a better finish. I guess it all depends on how smooth a finish you want on your panels. You could go anywhere from just CSM to filling/faring/sanding to get a surface like you have on the liner. My opinion is if you are going to put carpet over it CSM is good enough but others, or you, may not agree.

Just so I understand, you have three panels to deal with? 1) the forward part that will slide under the bow walkway, 2) the ski locker cover and 3) the fuel tank cover. Do they just fit in the "shelf" built into the liner? Are some of them somehow fastened down or are they made to be easily lifted out for access? Also, did they provide some means for water to exit the ski locker and make it's way back to the bilge? I'm sure they must have but I couldn't see it in the pictures. That's an interesting design, just trying to understand how it works with the center panels.

Saxon11

Cadet
Yes, there is plenty to do and see in Port Phillip Bay, it is a great place to get out and explore.

I appreciate your advice Rick, and i have been following your thread. There is some handy advice in there :)

Your description regarding the panels required is spot on. All panels screw into the "shelf "as you say, with the ski locker cover screwing into a hinge on the Port side, although i am thinking of changing the hinge position to the front of the locker with the addition of a strut to hold it open. The ski locker does drain into the bilge through a moulded tube. I'll get a few more pics to show you, i haven't had a chance to do anything this weekend due to a birthday for my daughter. Hopefully i can get some supplies this week and looking to progress a bit more this coming weekend.