Livewell plumbing problem

edmo

Seaman
Just bought a used 18" deck boat with livewell in front of console. It has fill tube near the top and a stand pipe with removable plug near bottom (about 2") and an open top for overflow. Livewell also has a drain hole in the bottom. This drain hole just drops straight to the bilge, no hose connecting it to anywhere. Assuming this is wrong, do they make a fitting I can secure from the top (screw on or whatever) that I can install and run a hose to the back of the boat on the other side of the livewell pump. Don't have access to bottom of livewell (fiberglass) for a two piece fitting. Thanks.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
The drain is designed to go to the bilge when you are done for the day...pull the drain plug, then pull the bilge plug and drain out any live well water...
At least that's the way I "see" it from your description...
If this doesn't answer your question, post up some pictures and/or sketches and I can take a better look at what you want to accomplish...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
This drain hole just drops straight to the bilge, no hose connecting it to anywhere. Assuming this is wrong

Yeah, that's wrong.

The drain should connect to a hose that connects to a through hull fitting below the waterline of the boat that will drain the stinky fish livewell water to the outside of the boat instead of stanching up the bilge with fish slime and scales.

Last edited:

edmo

Seaman
Kinda what I was thinking, but hadn't thought of the fish slime issue probably because I don't catch many, but in the bilge area at the back are my on-board charger and 3 batteries I'd like to keep away from moisture as much as possible. I'll probably find an L-shaped bulkhead fitting and attach it to a hose that I snake back through the hole to the back. Guess I will seal the flange of the fitting in the bottom of the live well with some screws, a gasket and some silicone. From some diagrams I've seen that hose could be teed into the livewell pump line on the lake side of the pump. I think the concept is so you can recirculate water through the livewell. The overflow line is connected to the outside through a separate hose.