1965 sea king steering cable repair

theflipper

Cadet
i have a 16ft sea king i use for fishing. the steering wheel came loose and the steering cable slipped off while on the lake. i rigged it the best i could and attempted to head back in. steering cable was too tight and ripped away from the wall on the port side. the steering cable is the pulley system with springs on the back of the boat. im sure i just need to reattach the cable to the port side and adjust the steering cable to the steering wheel but i dont know how to do that. and the steering wheel is loose. i attempted to tighten it while on the water... fail. any advice is much appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This link should provide some helpful information...http://www.glen-l.com/supplies/06123.html
I would suggest that if you intend on keeping the wire rope and pulley system that you use stainless steel Bolts to bolt the pulley hardware THROUGH the hull so that it cannot pull free again. Also you should always do a PHYSICAL EYES ON check of all steering components prior to going onto the water. I have this steering system too, and I always check it before any excursion. I keep the pulley lubed and in good working order. I installed turnbuckles on the cables to make it easy to adjust tensionioning. It's absolutely imperative that proper tensioning is in place on this steering system if you want it to perform properly.You might want to consider changing over to a single cable Rotary steering system if you want to keep the boat. What size motor do you have?

theflipper

Cadet
Thanks for the link it will be helpful with my repair. i have a 35 hp johnson thats runs good but i have a problem with the throttle cable set up though. I took pictures of what i am having trouble with. it looks like a teeth and lever system that i really dont know what to call. i purchased this boat a year ago and everything seemed to break at once. a little piece bounces off the holds the cable to the lever, that piece pops off then im stuck on whatever speed it is at.
the little piece above is what keeps popping out of place. i cant throttle quickly or use my reverse without it jumping off is there any system i could use to replace that that is less complicated, more novice friendly? a single cable rotary system, is that the one image in the link where the cable in only on the starboard side? i would probably need a shorter cable then what i already have? thank you for your input i got another 3-4 months of good weather here id like to be back on the water soon any input is greatly appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Does it have any model #'s or Serial #'s or any other identifying characters on it?

theflipper

Cadet
none that i could find. im thinking i might just have to replace the whole part because i dont know what im looking at. it seems simple but old. any ideas on how to replace the whole thing would be appreciated.

theflipper

Cadet
yeah i have everything its just the piece with the teeth on it that connects to my throttle lever is cracked and it was keeps causing it to jump off. if i could find a piece to replace that plastic tooth piece then it would be a simple fix. but im not real worried about it because i can sit back and control the throttle on the motor while my woman drives. but if its cheap to replace the whole system then i would do that.