Transom install...how much PB for attachment to hull?

bikepainter

Cadet
I am preparing to install my transom on my 16 ft MT. Im on a tight budget and am trying to minimize material waste. Could someone tell me the approximate amount of PB needed to attach my transom wood to my hull? My transom measures aprox 6' x 2'6" Im assuming 1/4 inch thick layer. Thanks in advance for any advice

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
1/4" is way too thick, apply your PB with an 1/8" notched trowel and when you compress the transom wood to the f'glass skin it'll squeeze down to less than 1/16".

Use the excess that squeezes out and any leftovers to bed the 1/4" gap perimeter of the transom and make a nice cove fillet.

It'll be better to have a little left over than to not have quite enough.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It depends. If the outer skin is relatively smooth and flat and free of dips and gouges then I'd say you could get by with 1/8" on both the skin and the transom. However if the skin does have some dips and depressions I'd kick it up to 1/4". I'd also recommend drilling some holes in your transom to allow the PB to ooze through and creat a mechanical bond as well as allow air to escape from the clamping. Also remember NOT to apply to much clamping pressure. When the PB starts to ooze out around the edges you're pretty much done. Be ready to use the excess to form your fillets. This link will help explain everything. Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms