rivet size help needed

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1985 Sea Nymph 14R Big water aluminum v-hull style boat. Some one at one time or another had some leaks and put a bunch of spray on sealant on the outside of some seams on the boat and silicone sealant on some areas of the inside of the boat.

In the area I was trying to check the rivet size there was also sealant in between those rivets. I tried measuring the reach I will need for the rivet but in trying to measure I am getting slightly different readings with the caliper from 1/64 under 1/4" to slightly over 1/4". The outer bow trim thickness the round head of the original I assume rivet goes through appears to be 3/32" and the inside of the hull metal varied but 3 times I got a 5/32 reading. Still there was a range of up to at least 23/128". So on that thickness 5/32 + or minus several 1/128 of an inch. it appears the sealant or small bumps in surface of metal on the inside may be throwing that measurement off.

In any case it is difficult to say with extreme accuracy what the total reach of the new rivet should be. It could be slightly under to slightly over 1/4" in reach. Does anyone know what is common or typical reach for the rivets on this boat? Would all of them on the seam areas in front and rear of the boat likely be the same diameter and reach? I do have a 3/16 diameter rivet that likely has to long a reach but I could perhaps put it in the hole and try to measure how much of it sticks out and subtract that from the total length of the part that goes through the hole.

I am probably over thinking this as with other things but want to make certain I get the correct reach so the end result will be as tight a joint as possible. Also on rivet hole was somewhat dimpled i