Possible floor plan. Need advice.

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As I work on my 1989 Regal medallion 185, I can't help but wonder if for us adults, getting rid of the stock seats and installing some Captains chairs may be in order, and worth the investment. I don't want to spend too much buying really expensive Captains chairs, only to end up hating it, and having to find someone to buy them. I was thinking more along the lines of getting some fairly nice folding chairs on swivels. That way, I can fold down, and prop my self up higher when driving. Yet, sit in a circle of 4 when I have other couples with us.

Here's a pic of my boat. For tubing and such, do you think I will have enough room to pull the original seats, and install 4 chairs? This gives us the ability to sit in the back and chat with adult friends, while the kids sit in the bow. My only concern is not having enough room when the kids want to go tubing. Does this size of boat and floor area lend enough room for 4 chairs? How much area per chair would I need?

The stern has a standard doghouse with small side seats, and cup holders. These seats really don't get used, except as a step getting in and out of the boat on the swim ladder.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

029_zps964b856e.jpg

Maclin

Admiral
That size and style of boat does not really lend itself to lounging with more than 2-3 passengers especially when some want to move around or get back in and swap tube riders, not as stable as one would like if they are trying to lounge. Chatting while underway in that environment is a little noisy and hard to have good conversations. A deck boat with a more open seating arrangement up front and around the side in the cockpit is what most go to once they determine that the kind of boating they do most is lounging and chatting.

How does the current layout work out now? Or have you used this boat yet, maybe you haven't. If you have not gone out much yet then maybe try to go out a few times like it is now with different uses in mind and get feedback from the crew as to what works well and what is annoying. It is kind of hard to pre-guess everything and have the first outing be perfect for all uses, just sayin'.

Last edited: