Looking for Advice/Help on possible restoration of 21'Bayliner 40th Anniversary Model

kevinb1333

Cadet
Hello Everyone, I have been doing a lot of research the last few days and I found I keep coming back to this forum and the wealth of knowledge and experience here so I ended up joining and now I have some questions and am looking for advice.

I am considering trading some personal items for a boat which is a 21' Bayliner 2050 LS BR, I/O 40th Anniversary Model. It would be a straight across trade with no cash involved and for items that I will not miss.
Now my questions are is it worth it?
He has demoed out the rotten floor and so of course it needs a new floor and the engine was last started in 2011 so that is where my main concern lies. The engine turns so I know it is not frozen but I still worry since ive seen horror stories of people getting way in over there heads with engine work.
Anyways I looked at in person today and I am ready to pull the trigger with the trade but wanted to get some feedback from you veterans here. I will attach pictures as well for you all to see.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You're gunna need to open a Free Photobucket account and use it to post your pics. Use the IMG Code to copy and paste the pics from Photobucket

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the floor was bad, it is highly likely the stringer abd transom are bad also. Use an ice pick or a small drill on one of the stringers near the engine.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you really want to test the engine, get a portable fuel tank and hook it up to the engine. Put water muffs on the drive and fire her up. Let it run a bit, shut it down, do a compression test and check the oil to make sure you don't have a milk shake (also check that there is oil before firing it up). Should be able to get all that done in an half hour or so.

kevinb1333

Cadet
If the floor was bad, it is highly likely the stringer abd transom are bad also. Use an ice pick or a small drill on one of the stringers near the engine.
Believe it or not the floor from the engine compartment and up was rotten but I did not find much wrong around the engine and transom. I will double check to make sure but it honestly looked pretty good.

kevinb1333

Cadet
If you really want to test the engine, get a portable fuel tank and hook it up to the engine. Put water muffs on the drive and fire her up. Let it run a bit, shut it down, do a compression test and check the oil to make sure you don't have a milk shake (also check that there is oil before firing it up). Should be able to get all that done in an half hour or so.
Yea I wish I knew a engine guy in Orlando! I can do a lot of stuff but engines aren't my strong suit!

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Engines need fuel, compression, and spark to run. If you can verify that all are present its most likely a good engine. Since it sounds like you are not a big mechanic you should really take one with you. have them run a compression check on the motor and verify numbers. Really check around the manifold seals to see if they are leaking or have leaked.

Really check the transom and stringers. I bought my boat thinking it was only the floor that needs replaced. Im now half way into a complete replacement of stringers, transom, and floor.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I very much agree Redneck Joe! He did all this demo and then found out he needed colon surgery so the rest of the project is for someone else to pick up and finish.

captain Picard would say.....................

engage