70's tinny remodel - questions about drum and pulley setup

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, tackling a rather time consuming remodel of my early 70's Cherokee McKenzie runabout.

At the point where i can start re-assembly and have some steering setup questions.

anyone know any stores (regular big box) that will carry the tension springs in stock? There is nothing really bad about mine other then 5 coats of various paint with rust mixed in for rigidity. but i thought shiny new would look good for relatively cheap. I have seen them online for 10 bucks but don't want to wait.

Next would be do i even need them? i understand it's to keep the cables tight. But instead of the last pulley attached to the motor bracket then back to the spring on the transom, couldn't i just go straight to the motor?

Thanks!
Steve

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, I wouldn't recommend a direct hook up, And, I don't know of a local source for the springs. A wire wheel on a drill might be able to clean the old ones up. They did mine. You might try Ace Hardware or A Farm Supply store. A Wire Tensioning Spring is another name for what you're looking for. I'd take a picture with me so they'll know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

MikDee

Banned
You will need all the springs to take up any slack in the cables, don't shortchange yourself.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Old screen doors that didn't have closers on them often had a chain w/ the same kind of wire tension spring that you need for pulley & cable steering. On the screen door it was intended to act as a shock absorber if the door got caught by the wind and blown open or pushed open to vigorously by somebody...

Looks like this:
yhst-70220623433298_2272_261788059

I mentioned screen door, because w/ those parts is where I'd look for it in a big box store

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't skip the springs - Your wrist will thank you if a rock or log is gets in your way. iboats sells the springs along with the cable and pulleys - All under Steering Parts and Accessories. Here are the springs. http://www.iboats.com/Tiller-Rope-Springs/dm/cart_id.691638488--session_id.897400737--view_id.39682

If you use the Big Box or hardware store, compare with your old ones to make sure they have the same tension, that would be my only concern. If you haven't re-cabled before, you're in for a treat. It was a fun day re-wrapping the steering in my sig tinny. :facepalm:

Also check the cables for cracks in the vinyl coating. You'll probably find new cable around the same section as the springs or with the rope and chain.

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks All!

I ended up finding my even older set of springs. after an overnight bath in CLR they are better. and easy enough to swap down the road.

Went with new cable just because, and it worked out pretty good. putting it all back together was about 30 minutes. I know it probably seems like I'm telling a tale, but i really did get it all back on first try!