DECK, AND STRINGERS, AND TRANSOM? OH MY!

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mike, you flaunt that "Old Dumb Oakie" routine with great success, however it doesn't fool any of us. I don't know where a lot of us would be without your invaluable advice. I, for one, am in your debt. I have been on this site long enough to recognize the good folks and the idiots. Rick and Jeff, I also thank you both; and Jeff your project still deserves to be in the "I-Boats Forum Restorers Hall of Fame. As for you Gus, always enjoy your input...and I think I remember 3 years ago when you first started, you had planned on having it finished by the following spring.....yeah, you didn't say which spring. :facepalm: I am kind of like you in that regard, I am not continuing with something until I am happy with where I am. Probably like most noob's, I over plan and think, but when I am happy with it, I will move to the next point. Thank you also Gus, I have learned a lot from you. I will post more as I go. THANKS TO ALL, WOULDN'T BE HERE THIS FAR WITHOUT THE GREAT IBOATERS FAMILY.

Mark72233

Ensign
Daniel I have been lurking out here and checking out your boat build and just wanted to echo what you said about Wog and the rest of these guys. They have made this journey on my boat resto a fun, enjoyable learning experience that will leave me with a boat I will be proud of and that my family can safely enjoy for years to come. Thank you to the iboat family. Daniel keep up the good work and I will be following along.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey everybody knows all the Smart Okies moved to CaliForny back in the Dust Bowl days and left the Dumb ones back here to fend for ourselves!!! Just ask my WIFE!!! The only Smart thing I ever did was Marry her and the only Dumb thing she ever did was Marry Me!!!!! I appreciate the kind words, and I just keep trying to "Hep Out" when and where I kin!" I find the folks here on this forum to be some of the most creative and inventive people I've ever run across. The skills they have are amazing. I swear some of them have missed their callings!!! The work they produce when they've NEVER done some of things they do, is AMAZING!!! When I see that, I can't help myself. I HAVE to do whatever little bit I can to help them be successful. Besides being a "Know it All" is fun!!!!:D:eek:;)

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Daniel I have been lurking out here and checking out your boat build and just wanted to echo what you said about Wog and the rest of these guys. They have made this journey on my boat resto a fun, enjoyable learning experience that will leave me with a boat I will be proud of and that my family can safely enjoy for years to come. Thank you to the iboat family. Daniel keep up the good work and I will be following along.

Mark, I have been on this forum for over 4 years, an I am constantly amazed at the information that is shared. Not just some of the expertise that one finds here, but also the ability to work around problems and just make things work. I used to drag race, and I can guarantee that trying to find a forum where racers were willing to share information was almost impossible. I had outboard problems originally and that is what got me started here. Not only did I get answers to my 150HP Mercury, but now I am rebuilding my boat. I ONLY HAVE ONE COMPLAINT....I SERVED 4 YEARS IN THE MARINE CORPS AND I CAME OUT A STAFF SGT., I HATE THE DESIGNATION OF PETTY OFFICER. All Navy ships have Marines, their job is to protect the Captain from crazy swabbies.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just so you know Wood I liked your design. I was thinking of using two smaller PVC pipes and using some long extensions on a ratchet wrench to get at the nuts but my luck the nut would fall out of the socket, a magnet wouldn't help and my grabber thingy probably wouldn't open wide enough to grab it. So I'd end up hanging the boat by the tow hooks and shaking it to get them out. Uh, wait a minute, that might not work so well...

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
I would not fill these areas in the transom with foam if I were you. I would use transom composite material like SeaCast. The volume is not that much and the cost will not increase significantly but the transom will be supported properly and you will have no concerns if in the future you want to install any equipments require proper transom support such as trim tabs or trolling motor.

I am not a big fan of using this material for building a whole transom and I do believe that a properly fabricated and glassed plywood transom will do an excellent job if the owner knows how to take care of it through its service life. But in this specific case and because of the shape and form of your transom, using this material to fill the gap between the hull and the plywood makes a lot of sense to me. Just my 0.02 cents

Last edited:

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would not fill these areas in the transom with foam if I were you. I would use transom composite material like SeaCast. The volume is not that much and the cost will not increase significantly but the transom will be supported properly and you will have no concerns if in the future you want to install any equipments require proper transom support such as trim tabs or trolling motor.

I am not a big fan of using this material for building a whole transom and I do believe that a properly fabricated and glassed plywood transom will do an excellent job if the owner knows how to take care of it through its service life. But in this specific case and because of the shape and form of your transom, using this material to fill the gap between the hull and the plywood makes a lot of sense to me. Just my 0.02 cents

DeepBlue....I do appreciate the idea and input. However I believe the transom and stern will end up a lot stronger than the original without the SeaCast. The original transom was 1-1/2 thick ply and covered the complete width port to starboard. There were 2 plywood supports along the kickers; the port support was not flush with the transom which pushed the port side of the transom away from the fiberglass. There was an actual area along that part of the transom that appeared to not be stuck to anything (the old transom pryed lose very easily.) The face of the original had a layer of what looked like woven over it, however as I ground down on the face along the edges, I discovered that there wasn't any tabbing or PB along the edges between the bottom or the sides. What was there, was foam which seemed to be covered with just resin...no cloth. It seems the manufacturer only (attempted to) attach the wood to the stern along that small 30" x 18" area, and when they put in the foam it seeped under and around the wood, then they put one layer of woven over the face but didn't take it to the sides or bottom, and seemly put on some resin at the edges. VERY, VERY, sloppy...however it had lasted 25 years. If was not for a little bit of rot at the bottom of the transom wood on the port side, I could have left the transom alone. I won't rule out the SeaCast, you have given me something to think about, and until I am ready to pour the foam I won't have to make that decision. BTW...boat is equipped already with a 150HP BlackMax and the trolling motor is at the bow.

Any idea as to the weight differential over foam? Thanks again, it has given some thought.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The configuration of your top cap...
D7_zpsf9971691.jpg

as with most Fish and Ski type boats does not lend itself well to "Kickers" and rear mount Trollers unless you use Jack Mounts and even then with the sloped edges it's still a hassle. the "Center" Transom configuration is meant to support the Main Engine only. The Large Foam blocks as you previously stated serve dual purposed for flotation and structural support. I still think the way you're doing it will be fine. But Hey, that's what makes this forum the best on the NET. You get so many diverse opinons from which to make your decision.;)

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
You are so right WOG, and considering that the transom actually lasted 25 years with the crappy production work, I think I should get at least 20 more out of it doing the way we have discussed. And since I will be purchasing expanding foam for the rest of the boat, I won't be spending a couple hundred more for the transom area for the SeaCast. BUT....then again. :facepalm: :lol:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
With the foam and the plywood tabbed to the hull sides as it will be you'll be surprised at just how strong it really will be.. She'll be good to go.