Building Wood 16' Jon Boat

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have been away from the forum for a couple of years. I have been so busy, that I have not had any time for boat projects over the last 2 years. Well I have decided to jump back into it. I bought plans to build a 16' Jon boat from scratch. I will post pictures as I go. The boat will be used for duck hunting this winter, and for the smaller lakes where my 19.5' bayliner wont go. The plans will be here this week sometime.

These are the plans I will be using.
http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=GF16

Here is a photo of a finished one. Hopefully mine looks something like this.

This will be my first wood boat from scratch.

It feels good to be back on the forum, and starting a new project! Ill keep everyone updated.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks Capatin. That looks like a fun build as well. I am starting with a smaller project. If all goes well I have a 21' boat in mind I want to build. I was going to build it a couple years ago, but I have decided to start with something smaller first.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got the garage cleaned tonight. I am ready to begin. Just waiting on the plans to arrive. Hopefully will see them this week.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I know you already have purchased your plans, but... are you aware of this site....?? John Boat Plans
I purchased them 2 years ago, and have committed them to memory over the past two years!:eek: It's gunna be one of the First "Retirement Projects" I undertake. Gunna make it a "Grandson/Grandfather" project. I'll be looking forward to following along with your's.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I know you already have purchased your plans, but... are you aware of this site....?? John Boat Plans
I purchased them 2 years ago, and have committed them to memory over the past two years!:eek: It's gunna be one of the First "Retirement Projects" I undertake. Gunna make it a "Grandson/Grandfather" project. I'll be looking forward to following along with your's.

I was not aware of that site. Half the price for what I am sure are the same plans. I paid $60 and I am waiting for them in the mail. Oh well.

That would be a great Grandson/Grandfather project. I will have my 6yr old daughter helping me on this boat. There will be countless hours of fishing and duck hunting on the this boat. Looking forward to it.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The plans are arriving tomorrow. We are going camping next week, so I will start the construction next weekend probably.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
GREAT! I built a small knock-down kayak/canoe type boat several years ago over the summer. LOVED building it. Not an ideal size/shape boat for WV, but extremely satisfying to build all the same. It's the plywood boat in my signature links.

There are LOTS of good plans online as well, so if once you get the plans, if they don't suit you or aren't something you want to build, look around, you might find a better fit boat print, possibly free.

The Bateau looks like a nice boat though. Looking forward to watching it come together..

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Think I will tag along on this one. Was looking at the Phantom plans.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am a little ahead of myself here. I bought this little nissan 5hp today. $300 for everything. Runs great, has a brand new impeller in it and the motor is very clean. It is a little small for a 16ft, but it will be enough to move up and down the river. It will also make a great trolling motor for my bayliner.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The boat plans are all laid out. They look pretty straight forward. Going to buy plywood this weekend and begin the build.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Love to come aboard and follow along on your build...looks like a really cool project!
Nice score on the 5 horse Nissan!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks like a fun project ! What type wood are you using ?

I am using plywood for it. However I have been debating between a nice ACX plywood or going with a Hardwood such as birch or something. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You Don't want to use anything but ext. grade or Marine Grade plywood. They're the only ones that use 100% waterproof glue in their laminations. All others are for interior use only and not suitable for building boats.;)

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
ACX or BCX would be good, just depends on how you want the appearance.
X denotes that is is eXterior grade

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Acx it is then. I will just paint it at the end. Thanks for the input.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The most important thing for plywood for a hull is exterior glue. Second is no voids in the layers, And distant third is a high number of layers. When I built the dory I went with Baltic birch. It had either 11 or 13 layers for 3/4" and no voids. A good ACX would work too. I used the Menards ACX for the transom in my current restore and that would be good for a hull. Personally I would like a few more layers, but for what you are building it would be fine.