Some thoughts on Hull Damage

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi everyone.

About a week ago out on the Hudson River I struck a 2x4 in the river floating just on the surface, it was about 3ft long.

The boat is a 2000 Cobalt 206

I got the boat back on the trailer and sure enough there was some damage on one of the edges of a Starboard chine.

The damage is about 1 1/2 -2 inches long, about 1/2inch wide, maybe 1/8-1/6 of an inch deep

The damage got through the gelcoat, and it looks like some of the resin behind it. It doesn't look like fiberglass (But I'm unsure). I poked around with a screw drivers and definitely no full penetration.

Ive done gelcoat repair before and Bondo work

Im just trying to collect some various opinions, I know its through pictures but any thoughts would be great

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Without seeing it in a pic or in person its tough to say but ill give it a go. Odds are you didnt get into the fiberglass. The chines are pretty strong being that they are an angular piece of the hull. Most likely you only chipped off the gelcoat over it. The gel in that area could easily be .125 deep so what you are saying makes sense to me. Plus it was only a 2x4 floating in open water. Boats hit sticks and branches all the time with no damage.

My guess is patch it with some Gel and be on your way.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The forum is having issues at the moment and your pics did not post.
Based on your description I agree that mixing up some thickened gelcoat paste should do the trick. Be sure to remove any loose pieces and clean the area thorougly with Acetone before applying the paste.