Replacing floor in an I/O vs. outboard

Racer67

Seaman Apprentice
I keep reading that if the floor is shot in an inboard/outboard boat, part it out while if it's an outboard, it's worth fixing most of the time. I have an outboard and just replaced the stringers.. floor is going in this week. But just curiosity got me wondering why an I/O is so bad to replace the floor with? Shouldn't it be the same thing other than you have to work with the engine?

Thanks for helping my mind.

tpenfield

Staff member
Where do you keep reading these sorts of things? A lot would depend on the boat, the bigger difference would be in the transom area.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Too echo tpenfield - Where are you reading this stuff? There is no difference between an IO floor or an OB floor. The difference is in the transom. Not in the construction, rather the fact that IO drive is through the transom and there are some critical dimensions to adhere to. Saying that, there are plenty of members who have replaced transom wood in IOs.

jbcurt00

Staff member
And an I/O transom might be removed & replaced w/out pulling the cap. An OB transom usually REQUIRES the cap to be pulled. Might make the transom job a tad easier & less involved, but for sure, keeping the thru key hole dimension correctly sized (2-2.25"), the transom flat to 1/16"+/- across the key hole, and keeping it perpendicular to the centerline of the boat is critical.

So, yeah, you should probably get a new fact source, the current one definitely needs to be kicked to the curb. Or at least tossed overboard :watermelon:

Racer67

Seaman Apprentice
Gotcha. I've been reading many so many threads here, and seen it pop up a couple of times. Next time I see it, I'll link the post in this thread. Also was told by the local marine supply store when told them what I was doing (replacing the stringers and floor), asked if it was an outboard.. said yes, and they said good.. if it was an i/o to just part it out.

So it's basically the transom that causes the problem as it has to be so inline with the motor is what I'm gathering?

Thanks guys... I have a thick skull. :p

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If that advise was given it may have been due to the type of I/O, old obsolete models aren't worth fixing up.

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Motor mounts tend to rot out on I/O's too which would also make an I/O a bit more difficult when floors and stringers are replaced/repaired. I have done several outboard transoms, I have never done an I/O for this reason. Pulling an I/O to me, seems more difficult than taking an outboard off the transom. This is just my opinion, but it may help you understand how /what others may think. There is no black and whit answer, because every boat is a bit different, and so is the rot that can occur.