1988 Grady White Rehab / Advise Needed (Cuddy, Gelcoat, Deck, etc...)

Just got a new-to-me 1988 Grady White Offshore 24....somewhat untimely as my 22' Center Console recently decided to play submarine in the slip overnight (total loss). I will post progress here to get advise, comments, criticism, and hopefully help some other pour soul that needs to do the same at some point and can learn from my mistakes.

Needless to say, another boat, another list of projects to bring it up to standard....there's a few areas I'd like to get some advise on, so I will section out the current big items:

Cuddy Cabin Rehab

As anyone with a cuddy knows (especially older) they get damp, musty, and sometimes moldy....apparently there are some leaky spots in the windows (more on that below) and the headliner carpet/monkey fur has some moldy spots....needless to say as soon as the wife saw that it was the kiss of death for that carpet, so out it goes. I've read up on cleaning vs replacing vs painting....I have a short remediation timeline so paint will put lipstick on the pig until I can decide on something more permanent.

Stripped down to fiberglass (both yellow and green sections are fiberglass).....notice the 'fuzzies' left behind on the third pic...no good for painting....I was going to maybe try a heat gun to singe them down....crazy? Was going to use an oil based Kilz primer....

fetch
fetch
fetch

tpenfield

Staff member
Pictures do not seem to be showing up (there have been picture uploading problems since the upgrade). Perhaps you should put them on photobucket (or similar) and just provide a link.