transom starting to crack

DLD Spoiler

Recruit
Hey all ! Fist time post for me. Need some advice. My wife and I purchased a '72 Duo recently. We took her out for the first time this weekend. She ran great and it was a blast. After getting her home and cleaning her up I noticed small cracks in the fiberglass where the outboard bolts threw the transom(?). I know this isn't normal. What can I do to rectify this and make sure it doesnt turn into a bigger issue? And should I try to reinforce it? We are new to boat ownership so forgive me if I dont use the proper terms! Thanks in advance!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Pix would be helpful

Small spider cracks may be just the beginning of an already larger problem

Large cracks are typically a clear indication of a larger problem

It is a 42yr old fiberglass boat

Get a free photobucket acct, upload pix there, then post them here via the IMG code for each pix. The forum is experiencing some difficulties associated w/ a software upgrade, so avoid using the iboats pix attachment/uploader, 3rd party host site pix are working much better then the resident pix option.

Hang in there while the forum gets sorted out. When it's running right, there is no better place to get answers & help rehabbing/repairing/restoring an old fiberglass boat.

There is LOTS of good info in here, dig in & start reading some other threads. You will quickly find info about what likely lies ahead..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I would inspect the transom, where it joins the hull, especially near the top and bottom, for further cracks. Cracks there could confirm bigger problems.

Sometimes ovetightening the thru bolts will cause minor cracking. These can indicate bigger issues, or maybe be isolated to that area.

The boat is very old, so you may want to assume the worst, until proven wrong.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Cracks usually can mean that the wood in the transom has begun to rot, when the bolts are tightened, they then can crack the glass outside and inside your transom, the wood core might be starting to rot You should be able to stand on your outboard lower leg and see no flex on your transom, simple check for you. With the age of your boat, it's not uncommon to see this occur, but cracks can also be small and no issue at all, depend s how big and where they are, pictures will help us see what you do.