Recipe for Hull Filling/Fairing Putty

Heliguy78

Cadet
Hi guys, Iv'e finished all the structural work on my '91 Skeeter and am about to start filling and sanding the imperfections on the hull before gelcoating. I'll be using poly resin and need a good mix ratio for the resin / cabosil/ glass bubble / milled fiber putty. I would like it to be easily sandable, but strong enough for the bottom of the hull below the waterline. Thanks to everyone for all your help and experience throughout this build so far.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you are just talking about scratch/ small gouge repair I would skip the milled fibers. I use sil-cell (similar to glass bubbles) with some cabosil. In my opinion you are not doing anything structural so you really don't need the cabosil, but if I was going to use it I would mix 25% cabosil with 75% glass bubbles and mix with resin until you get a consistency you can spread well, similar to drywall mud.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If the gouges are deep then yeah, I'd use some CMF in the mix. but for small stuff this ^^^ is what I'd recommend as well. A bit of Cabosil, the rest glass bubbles till you get the consistency of mayonaise. Use 1% MEKP to harden it and you'll get about 20-30 mins. of working time. Make sure to clean well with Acetone prior to filling ;)

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Your right, I was thinking Chopped strand fibers, not milled fibers.

Heliguy78

Cadet
Thanks guys. Yea the gouges aren't that deep, plus I would say its more for leveling a couple of repair areas I had when I was fixing holes through the hull. I just wasn't sure about the glass bubbles.