Needing advice on what to purchase for my hull repair

m_steiger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im getting ready to take on fixing some hull damage. I just want to make sure I have a correct list of things to purchase and would like everyones input on whether the products I have listed will be sufficient.

1 quart white gelcoat (non waxed formula)
8oz bottle PVA mold release agent
West system Six10 thickened epoxy adhesive
320, 400, 600 grit sandpaper
masking tape
west marine gelcoat scratch patch

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• photo200923.jpg
    photo200923.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo200925.jpg
    photo200925.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo200926.jpg
    photo200926.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo200927.jpg
    photo200927.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo200928.jpg
    photo200928.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
damage looks pretty extensive . . . more than gelcoat would fix. Maybe you can elaborate on your planned repair process

m_steiger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I plan to sand down the damage and put a slight bevel on all the edges. Where the damage is deepest all the way to fiberglass such as right below the bow eye hook I am going to fill in with a couple coatings of the thickened epoxy to act as a filler. once the epoxy has cured Im not sure I i should sand that before taping off an area to spray the gel coat. Once the gel coat is has been sprayed I read that I need to spray it with a PVA mold release to act as an oxygen barrier and let it harden. I'll be using a palm sander and good ol' fashioned elbow grease for the sanding once everything is cured.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup you have some Fractured glass from what I can tell in the pics. I highly recommend using Non Waxed Laminating Polyester Resin Thickened with cabosil and layering CSM and 1708 biaxial cloth over the damaged area. If the area is Soft and Spongy You may need to do some repairs on the inside as well. NOTE: Gelcoat will not adhere to Epoxy very well that the reason for the Polyester Resin recommendation.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would agree WOG, it looks pretty extensive, at a very minimum I would recommend the above repair...What exactly happened??

m_steiger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Corjen, 2 summers ago I was out on the lake at night after having one too many drinks and going pretty fast 30ish mph I was driving by gps and anyways the glare from the screen made it hard to see but I ran the boat straight outta the water. Im talking she wasn't even touching the water. Had to have my buddies 38' Powerquest with twin 496's pull it back into the water.

m_steiger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The gps screen showed that there was supposed to be water there but as you can see the water was a little "low"

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
hmm running aground,.....Id be a bit concerned about structural damage,..did you hit any rocks?,...How did the outdrive fair?

m_steiger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nothing was completely throughout the hull. Once I had it pulled back in the water it floated all the way back to the dock. Needless to say that wasn't the least of my problems. Im guessing once the prop came out of the water is when the engine spun several main bearings. I spent last summer rebuilding the engine and already have it back in the boat. Ive also got a newer used lower unit a stainless steel prop. Pretty much only things holding me up now is the hull repair and finding a buddy who could loan me an engine alignment tool and driver for the gimbal bearing.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
As stated in my previous post. It appears in one area the glass is fractured and that could mean structural issues. You really need to ensure that there is NO sponginess or softness in any areas along the damaged areas. Is there any wetness in the glass?