painting plywood panels (console, hatch covers, etc.)

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
sorry to have to repost this, i think my original got deleted in the last database error with forums. I am going to be paining up some deck pieces, hatch covers, bulkheads, etc. I am making them new. One set of boards i threw in last fall and soaked with 50% poly and 50 % mineral spirits to get me by. So, I need a paint schedule for the plywood. I have a bunch of epoxy. Am i better off sealing with that than the above mix? And then what do I need for primer and paint. Someone linked Wood's rustoleum post last time but I can't find it. Any help appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you want the plywood to be smooth and No Grain to bleed thru you need to put on a coat or two of epoxy. Then paint with the mix in the last link in my signature line below.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you want the plywood to be smooth and No Grain to bleed thru you need to put on a coat or two of epoxy. Then paint with the mix in the last link in my signature line below.

Wood, so that primer, paint/hardener is fine over a 50/50 paint thinner and poly sealer coating? Also, how slippery is that finish going to be on hatch covers/deck areas? I don't need the awesome mirror/finish you got, just something for durability and a nice look. The boat is on a trailer and in the garage 90 percent of the year.