RustOleum EpoxyShield Driveway Sealer for deck and fiberglass?

max62

Seaman
Been a long time lurker on the forums and finally making a post.

After years of owning at least two boats (fishing vs. recreational sport), I'm down to one multipurpose boat now.

My current project is a 2001 Larson 190SEi runabout. I'm about to remove the old glued-down carpeting on the weekend. Depending on the deck condition either replace it or glass it in. Thanks to many great guides here I've got all the info I need for glass work.

I'm leaning towards a snap-on carpet on a boat like this but thought I'd check for any economical coatings that I can apply onto the deck and the ski-locker where paint is peeling somewhat on the fiberglass. My coatings selection is limited by what I can obtain locally even though I've got all the major hardware stores in the area.

My though is when I go fishing I can pull off the carpet to expose a tough coated surface which can be easily washed and doesn't get stained. And when it's time to do some tubing or relaxing the carpet goes back in. This way I can dry the carpet if it gets too soaked.

I searched the forums and found some ppl using Rustoleum ExpoxyShield garage floor paint with some success but there were concerns it wasn't UV-resistance and tends to chalk. So today while in a hardware store, I found this this guy:

RustOleum EpoxyShield Driveway Sealer Plus

On the label it says it's UV-resistant driveway sealer, made of used tires, jet black in color. Although I'd have to buy a 5gal pale, it's only like $25.

Has anyone used it on a boat deck before? Is it textured or something should be added to it for non-skid surface? Does it leach black when wet? Is it OK to use on fiberglass? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't know where you boat, but go stand on a chunk of asphalt like a parking lot in the afternoon sun and feel the heat rising. Do you want that in your boat? Driveway sealer is not paint and I wouldn't use it on a deck. IMHO.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
+10^^^^ Plain ole' Rustoleum Pro Oil Based Paint with the Added Hardener will be Plenty Good. Check the last link in my Signature about Tractor Paint...Same Thing as Rustoleum.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'd check for any economical coatings that I can apply onto the deck and the ski-locker where paint is peeling somewhat on the fiberglass.
Your 2001 boat has PAINT on the deck & ski locker? NOT gelcoat ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Why not use a marine urethane paint? I cannot imagine the stuff suggested will work well, for a variety of reasons. Is your deck non-slip now? If so, it should still retain some non-slip characteristics after painting.

max62

Seaman
Your 2001 boat has PAINT on the deck & ski locker? NOT gelcoat ?

Both deck and ski-locker have glued down carpets.

The deck appears to be unpainted 1/2in plywood or some such.

However, in the fiberglass in ski locker and in the rear section under the seating (its an outboard) appears to be covered in some white paint-like coating. The coating is flaking off now. It doesn't look like gelcoat to me though.

max62

Seaman
I don't know where you boat, but go stand on a chunk of asphalt like a parking lot in the afternoon sun and feel the heat rising. Do you want that in your boat? Driveway sealer is not paint and I wouldn't use it on a deck. IMHO.

I'm up in Canada. Yes, I'm aware of the heat that black surfaces would absorb.
I've had my last fishing boat's deck coated with bedliner. I fish early in the morning or later in the afternoon so it got warm but not hot. I wouldn't be fishing in the Florida sun thats for sure.

But this while I thought of having a snap-on carpet for hot days. So coating is for fishing and waterproofing.

After looking at the MSDS sheet for the product, it appear to be mostly an acrylic latex paint with carbon black mixed in.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Soak a rag in some Acetone and lay it on the White stuff. If it's gelcoat nothing will happen. If it's paint it will wrinkle and soften it. I'm betting it's gelcoat to since it's a 2001. If so I rescind my previous recommendation and would recommend rolling on more Gelcoat. Not sure why you're limited by obtaining it locally. With the Internet and UPS you can order Gelcoat and have it delivered to your door. Rolling it on would give you a somewhat textured surface like you're wanting.

max62

Seaman
Why not use a marine urethane paint? I cannot imagine the stuff suggested will work well, for a variety of reasons. Is your deck non-slip now? If so, it should still retain some non-slip characteristics after painting.

I thought I explained this one. I can find various urethane products in local hardware stores but nothing for marine usage. There is a pair of boating dealerships in town but they either don't have much selection or are asking outrageous amounts for what you lucky ppl can get south of here.

max62

Seaman
Soak a rag in some Acetone and lay it on the White stuff. If it's gelcoat nothing will happen. If it's paint it will wrinkle and soften it. I'm betting it's gelcoat to since it's a 2001. If so I rescind my previous recommendation and would recommend rolling on more Gelcoat. Not sure why you're limited by obtaining it locally. With the Internet and UPS you can order Gelcoat and have it delivered to your door. Rolling it on would give you a somewhat textured surface like you're wanting.

Ok I will try what you suggested. It might even be something that previous owner had covered it with. He did take good care of it, but may not have had an idea about correct product for this application. It could be latex or oil-based paint as far as I can tell.

I'm in the middle of Canada. Pretty much land locked city with 250K population. No significant marine/boating business. There is stuff online from Canadian distributors. The selection is limited but they have stuff. However comparing US vs. Canadian prices, Canadians get raped. Most items have something like 30-60% mark up compared to your pricing. Pint of gelcoat in US is $40, in Canada it's $60+ (after conversion)

Example: Interlux Interprotect 2000E quart
Price from iboats is $28 with free s/h
Price from major canadian online store : CAD $39.99 (~US$36) + 10% tax + CAD$18 s/h...

Buying from US online stores results in shipping charges as free shipping doesn't apply to international orders. Add around $20-30 for s/h alone. Offten s/h is more than the cost of the item. Then there are duties to pay. So much for NAFTA.

Oh and dont get me started on UPS. They are the biggest rip off. They tack on ridonkulous brokerage fees. I bought a $49 item (luckely with free s/h). UPS wanted to another $43.xx in brokerage fees. Only $4.xx was for actual duties. The rest was UPS brokerage fee.

Last edited:

max62

Seaman
+10^^^^ Plain ole' Rustoleum Pro Oil Based Paint with the Added Hardener will be Plenty Good. Check the last link in my Signature about Tractor Paint...Same Thing as Rustoleum.

Strangely enough I do not see your signature. Is this somehow related to the recent forum errors?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Ok I will try what you suggested. It might even be something that previous owner had covered it with. He did take good care of it, but may not have had an idea about correct product for this application. It could be latex or oil-based paint as far as I can tell.

I'm in the middle of Canada. Pretty much land locked city with 250K population. No significant marine/boating business. There is stuff online from Canadian distributors. The selection is limited but they have stuff. However comparing US vs. Canadian prices, Canadians get raped. Most items have something like 30-60% mark up compared to your pricing. Pint of gelcoat in US is $40, in Canada it's $60+ (after conversion)

Example: Interlux Interprotect 2000E quart
Price from iboats is $28 with free s/h
Price from major canadian online store : CAD $39.99 (~US$36) + 10% tax + CAD$18 s/h...

Buying from US online stores results in shipping charges as free shipping doesn't apply to international orders. Add around $20-30 for s/h alone. Offten s/h is more than the cost of the item. Then there are duties to pay. So much for NAFTA.

Oh and dont get me started on UPS. They are the biggest rip off. They tack on ridonkulous brokerage fees. I bought a $49 item (luckely with free s/h). UPS wanted to another $43.xx in brokerage fees. Only $4.xx was for actual duties. The rest was UPS brokerage fee.

$5 CAD per gallon:laugh::laugh::laugh: ... I wouldn't put anything in my boat that was that cheap! I guess you've never heard the old saying "You get what you pay for"?

That material is designed to bond to a porous concrete substrate, not polyester resined fiberglass. I doubt it'll bond for long, if it bonds at all... then you get to have fun removing that stuff and you'll have to spend the money on the proper material anyway.

Don't look at the US prices, they don't apply to you. If you want to buy at US prices do like the rest of the Canucks do and drive across the border... or you could immigrate... but people are going to look at you funny if you ask for an order of Poutine or gravy on your French fries.

max62

Seaman
jigngrub said:
$5 CAD per gallon:laugh::laugh::laugh: ... I wouldn't put anything in my boat that was that cheap! I guess you've never heard the old saying "You get what you pay for"?
[\QUOTE]

Well, people recommend tractor paint on here. It's in the same ballpark price-wise.

jigngrub said:
That material is designed to bond to a porous concrete substrate, not polyester resined fiberglass. I doubt it'll bond for long, if it bonds at all... then you get to have fun removing that stuff and you'll have to spend the money on the proper material anyway.
[\QUOTE]

Duly noted.

Don't look at the US prices, they don't apply to you. If you want to buy at US prices do like the rest of the Canucks do and drive across the border... or you could immigrate... but people are going to look at you funny if you ask for an order of Poutine or gravy on your French fries.
[\QUOTE]

LOL
Sadly closest border is 4-5hrs away + 2hrs to a major city. Thats one way time.

And besides I wouldn't want to immigrate to US (lets see how many proud 'muricans are about to get offended :)). After all that poutine up here I'm gonna need my free triple bypass surgery.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You don't want to use any Latex products in your boat.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hmm, you don't see the links listed below my posts??? That's called your signature line. Tractor paint costs significantly more than $5 per gallon

jbcurt00

Staff member
The 'paint' that's peeling below decks in the ski locker might be BilgeKote or some other paint that's specifically intended for use below decks.

Equally likely that the PO used who knows what kind of a coating..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
LOL
Sadly closest border is 4-5hrs away + 2hrs to a major city. Thats one way time.

And besides I wouldn't want to immigrate to US (lets see how many proud 'muricans are about to get offended :)). After all that poutine up here I'm gonna need my free triple bypass surgery.

No offense here, I would only consider moving up there if you guys turned up the heat and gave away some of the good beer. :lol:

All kidding aside, the Canadian version of EPA or some agency, puts the clamp on getting some of the good stuff. Sometimes because the label isn't in French. Your story about UPS has been told here by other CA members and UPS really sticks it to you.

I Googled "marine parts Canada" and found a few results. I have no idea who has what or any prices. Some of the finds are not Canadian. https://www.google.com/search?q=mar...e+parts+canada&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

After you find what your working with, I hope you can find a reasonable product up there.

max62

Seaman
Hmm, you don't see the links listed below my posts??? That's called your signature line. Tractor paint costs significantly more than $5 per gallon

No, sir. I know what a sig line is but there is none there.

Hell, even the famous FriscoBoater's (aka FriscoJatters) posts that usually have links to his projects aren't showing up. Something is up with the forums lately.

max62

Seaman
No offense here, I would only consider moving up there if you guys turned up the heat and gave away some of the good beer. :lol:

All kidding aside, the Canadian version of EPA or some agency, puts the clamp on getting some of the good stuff. Sometimes because the label isn't in French. Your story about UPS has been told here by other CA members and UPS really sticks it to you.

I Googled "marine parts Canada" and found a few results. I have no idea who has what or any prices. Some of the finds are not Canadian. https://www.google.com/search?q=mari...en-US:eek:fficial

After you find what your working with, I hope you can find a reasonable product up there.

There are places up in Canada that have nice weather throughout the year. Namely Vancouver, BC. If they get snow, it's only for a few days.

Soon enough US/China's pollution will warm up the place and Canada will be a tropical wonderland. :)

There is hardly if ever french labels on a lot of the marine products around here. From what I understand, it's up to the company to apply to whatever agency for approval if they wish to sell their line in Canada. The company might be too lazy or may not think it's worth the expense of finding distributors, etc. It may take a few rounds of bureaucratic red tape but as long as there is nothing banned in the product it's good to go.

Yeap I've bought stuff from at least 2 of those online stores before, but thank you for the link. I need to do a lower unit change, so gonna check out prices on the other websites I haven't visited yet.

Last edited: