Transom replacement on a 1988 wellcraft 192 classic

kcarichner

Recruit
Hello all,

I'm new to this site and I was looking to replace the transom on my 1988 Wellcraft 192 classic. I have found a lot of info on here but I was looking for any helpful tips or material specific to my boat. My dad and I have done a lot of work on trucks, jeeps, and four wheelers but we are new to the whole boat thing. I got the boat for really cheap and every thing else motor, floor, stringers (that I can see), cuddy and exterior is in great shape and I had checked by a marina. However I can't afford to pay $2000 for them to do the work. Any help will be appreciated!

jbcurt00

Staff member
The year make & model of a boat doesn't make much difference when doing fiberglass work & replacement of the wooden components that have had water intrusion and have developed rot. Take lots of pix, and lots of dimensions so you can put it back the way it was before.

As a 25+yr old boat w/ transom rot, don't be surprised that the damage is more extensive then you expect. Unless you have taken core samples of the stringers & motor mounts, it's extremely difficult to tell if they've experienced water intrusion.

How did you assess the deck, stringers & motor mounts? Isn't there a bunch of flotation foam filling the areas below decks?

Post pix of you boat, and get a nice comfy chair, and your favorite beverage & dig in to the resto forum. Please excuse the remodeling that is currently going on......

If you aren't familiar w/ how to remove the outdrive, gimble housing and pull the motor, you can ask some of those questions here in the resto forum. But specific detailed questions about the outdrive, gimble housing & I/O motor may be best asked (and answered) over in the correct motor forum: OMC, Mercruiser, Volvo etc...

Read thru Friscoboater's threads, and a many many others. Lots of great info & pix/videos in here, make the most of them. Following others that have done simialr will make it much easier to rebuild yours and not get overwhelmed. The more research & reading you do now, the more knowledge you'll have when it comes time to ask questions, and you may have already read a workable solution when unexpected stuff comes up.

THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO REBUILDING A ROTTED FIBERGLASS BOAT W/ PICS & VIDEO!

Good luck w/ your project, and welcome to iboats, the best boat rehab university anywhere.......