A questions about alumium cleaning and prep before installing a new transom?

Roadblock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So what do I need to do to clean the aluminum skin on my boat before I install a new transom?

I've got some brown crap and some light corrosion and pitting. The wood was factory and not P/T, I've just got some age and water damage going on. The wood was like powder in some area's!

Do I need to spray anything on the aluminum after cleaning it? I'm not looking to spend big dollars on some total restoration system super spray on coating and redo the whole boat. I just want to clean it up and neutralize the corrosion and seal it up with something.

A friend said to just wire brush it, scrub it down with acetone, spray it with some etching primer and then hit it with a can of spray on bed-liner crap and call it a day.

20140514_203403_zpsd5c1c74d.jpg

20140511_203930_zpse48d4b54.jpg

20140511_203927_zpsdac84937.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: A questions about alumium cleaning and prep before installing a new transom?

Wire cup brush, fill pitting with JB Weld marine or a marine epoxy, sand smooth, wipe, etching primer, and then a couple coats of all metal primer and you'll be good to go.

The pitting and corrosion were caused by trapped water that creates galvanic corrosion when the oxygen depletes from the water and it turns acidic. Putting a paint barrier between the metal transom and any moisture that collect behind the transom will prevent this.

Last edited:

Roadblock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: A questions about alumium cleaning and prep before installing a new transom?

They make Marine grade JB Weld? Yes interesting, I see it online now.

What is the benefit of using JB Weld or Marine epoxy?

Also would West System mixed with West's aluminum powder be the same thing? I ask about mixing my own using West System because I don't think the JB Weld tubes I see online will be enough unless I buy multiple packages and then at that point I could just buy the aluminum powder but maybe that is not the same thing?

Should I wash the aluminum with anything to neutralize it or will the primers seal it up good enough?

I assume Rust-Oleum Self-Etching primer and then Rust-Oleum Metal Primer will be good enough? Doesn't need to be anything that has the word "Marine" on it does it? I ask because normally "Marine" is like equal to 3x to 5x the price!

My ammo stockpile of .45ACP and .223/5.56mm is starting to hate my boat! Too many hobbies, not enough money! :D

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You won't need much epoxy or JB Weld, you just want to skim the pitting to fill it flush with the top of the metal and make everything smooth and flat. The aluminum powder and west epoxy will probably be fine, but I've never used it. I have used the Loc-tite marine epoxy and it bonds to aluminum nicely like the JB marine does.

No need to neutralize the aluminum, the self etching primer will bond without any problems. Just make sure it's clean.

The rattle can Rustoleum is what I use, it's good stuff.

Your guns and ammo will forgive you when you finish the boat... but the fish will be pretty whizzed off at you.;)