1971 Glastron V156. Check for water in hull?

zlbball

Recruit
Recently got this V156, pictured below.

1.jpg

My question is this: I've looked everywhere for the "rubber plugs" (referenced in all the Glastron owners manuals from the 70s) that are supposed to be in the sump, to the side of the main drain hole. I can't find them. Obviously I want to find and open these to see if there is any water in the hull. Has anyone here ever done this?

Or, on the other hand, do I have to take off the floor and look into the hull from above? Any help would be great. Thanks.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1971 Glastron V156. Check for water in hull?

First thing to do is; while on the trailer, raise the bow as high as you can to allow water in the hull to migrate to the bilge area and out the main drain. As far as internal drains Ive never heard of them,.. but maybe someone will know more about that than I.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Post some pics of your bilge so we can see what you see

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think I know what you are referring to. My tri-hull had two openings on either side of the bilge to allow water to escape from under the deck. In the bilge areas were two rubber plugs meant for those holes.
I think the idea was that under normal operation, you would plug them in to keep any water from entering under the deck from the bilge area. When you stored the boat, you would remove the plugs to let any stray water out.
I think they are more harm that good as most people probably dont use them and end up getting water under the deck that would not normally find it's way there.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Back in the day, before flotation foam was the norm and below deck was a large hollow void. you wanted to be able to have any water to be able to drain back to the bilge and then out thru the transom drain. If you had a center keel that attached to the bilge then it was necessary to have two drains, on on each side of this keel. You would keep these drains plugged, during normal operation and as stated above, pull the plugs when the boat was stored, Bow Up, to allow any water to flow down and out of the drains. My boat has em and the work great. You just need to remember to put the plugs in at the same time you put the transom plug in!!!;)

zlbball

Recruit

...In the bilge areas were two rubber plugs meant for those holes...

Yes, this is what I'm referring to. However, I think the last restore job covered these up (I am simply assuming this since they aren't there now). I'll get a picture later tonight.

Do you guys think it would be worth it to drill a new hole in this area so water from the hull can drain into the bilge, and then out the drain hole that is currently there? Obviously I'd have to remember to plug these every time.

zlbball

Recruit

First thing to do is; while on the trailer, raise the bow as high as you can to allow water in the hull to migrate to the bilge area and out the main drain. As far as internal drains Ive never heard of them,.. but maybe someone will know more about that than I.

Thanks for this comment. Even if I did this, the water wouldn't get to the main drain hole. The current drain hole only services the top of the boat, and has no access to any water that would be in the hull. Hopefully this makes sense. That's why I was looking for the rubber plugs to open.

So if there is water in the hull, it would need to go like this:
Hull ---> Then out of the two holes above drain hole in the sump area (these are the ones I can't find) -->then out the main drain hole.

I'll get a picture tonight.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

As I stated, IF, there is no flotation foam under the deck then YEP, I'd for sure put em back in. However IF there is 2 Part Flotation foam in the hull and/or IF you plan on putting it in, then IMHO, it's kind of a Moot point in having them since water will have a very difficult time flowing to the bilge with the foam adhered to the hull. Lot's of discussion about this here on the forum on how to drain a foam filled hull. You can do an advanced search and "READ ALL ABOUT IT" If you care to partake!!!:eek: I think the flotation foam is a GOOD thing but trying to drain it, Uhmmm I'm not convinced!!! But hey, ya gotta remember, I'm just an Old Dumb Okie!!!!:D

Last edited:

zlbball

Recruit

As I stated, IF, there is no flotation foam under the deck then YEP, I'd for sure put em back in. However IF there is 2 Part Flotation foam in the hull and/or IF you plan on putting it in, then IMHO, it's kind of a Moot point in having them since water will have a very difficult time flowing to the bilge with the foam adhered to the hull.

Thanks. Yes, I think there is some floatation foam under the deck.

I'll look for the related posts here on the forums. I guess my best bet would be to lift the deck out, at least part of it, and vacuum out any water that could be in there.

deleno

Seaman Apprentice
I wasn't aware of those plugs but when I found them and removed them I had a good amount of water come out .I tried loading up a pic but couldn't it's a 1/ 2 hole

deleno

Seaman Apprentice
I'd drill a pair only because I have no holes or cracks in the boat and still get water inside the hull some how. haven't found where it's going in from but drain it at the launch every time I take it out

Mark72233

Ensign
deleno, you need to look at the dates prior to posting on a thread. This one is from last year. If the thread is more then 90 days old it's considered closed and only the original poster can open it back up. Just letting ya know.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Delano, this topic has been inactive for a year, please refrain from posting to topics that have been inactive for 90days. If you have questions about your Glastron, start a topic about it and try to post as many pix as possible.

Thanks John