just picked up 89 bass tracker 1600tf

bullfrogin83

Cadet
Hey there everyone, new to the site. Just got an 89 tracker 1600tf for $500 and a little side work. Shes all there but needs a lil tlc. She needs new seats and a good cleaning/ buff job. Im probably going to do carpet, and i have a problem with the steering. It doesnt move lol. motor runs. Heading to work now but will ask ?s about the steering and whatever else i find.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: just picked up 89 bass tracker 1600tf

Welcome to the iBoats Dry Dock!

25 yr old boats need to be thoroughly inspected to ensure they don't have serious safety issues. Transoms and stringers are the main issues. Pics of the transom will really help us to help you ascertain the overall condition of the boat. You should be able to stand on the lower leg of the motor and bounce on it and not see any flex in the transom at all. There should be no visible cracks or discoloration around any of the the motor mounts on the transom. There should not be any re-enforcement plates on the transom. No soft spots on the deck. No major scratches or gouges in the hull exposing fiberglass fibers. Post up some pics so we can see what you're working with. The cable will prolly need to be replaced. Trying to Un-Stick them is usually a losing battle.

bullfrogin83

Cadet
Well i got her all vacuumed out and checked the floors and the transom. Everything looks good there .took the radio out and am going to go through all the wiring and switches next

bullfrogin83

Cadet
hey everyone, im having problems with my new switches. the old ones were 3 pole and the new ones are 4. I bought Off-On SPST switches from the boat store. They are suppose to illuminate white when panel lights are on, then red when the switch itself is turned on.

I was able to get the lights to work, but only by wiring it like an independent circuit (jumpered 3 to 6) - Want to wire it as a dependent & independent switch. The only way it works is if I bypass the switch altogether. See diagram. Please help!