Finishing transom repair

Browndog801

Cadet
I just finished laminating in my new transom. Now I need to cut the outdrive opening. I'm thinking about just using a sawzall. Anything I need to be looking for. I know at the top I'll have to use a file or something to widen it for the steering arm, but I thought I would post this and see if anybody had some suggestions are cautions before I do this. I don't want to mess it up, after all this work. I have a 1995 celebrity 20 foot with a Volvo SX outdrive. Also I have two floatation boxes on each side, should I still reinstall them I like the extra room without him. One other thing the transom seal should I put it in dry or should I put some type of adhesive on it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: Finishing transom repair

I would think a Sawzall would be hard to control... I'd use a saber saw. For the dog ears, it's easier to use a hole saw and to cut them before you cut the rest of the outdrive opening. Just make sure the hole saw is the correct diameter and is drilled at the correct angle to allow the steering arm to move freely.

Browndog801

Cadet

That's a good idea to use the hole saw. I think the repair shops uses a jig which I don't have. I made a pattern from the inside. I guess I could drill from the inside out. To get the right angle. I have a jig saw but need a longer blade.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I totally agree^^. Sawzall is not the correct tool for this job. The Keyhole needs to be fairly accurate. Don't think you could be that accurate with a sawzall. At least I couldn't.:D

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a service manual?

If not, this website has them to view online. Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

I have a 95 Four Winns with a VP HU series SX drive. It probably is the same series you have. Look at any of your serial numbers, and see if it has an HU in them. Mine is an APHUE.

Assembling the transom shield to the hull calls for 3M Scotch Grip Rubber Adhesive 1300. applied to a new transom gasket. The adhesive isn't applied to the hull, it's applied to the groove in the transom shield and then the new gasket is placed in the groove with the gasket cut to length. The gaskets ends are glued together with the 1300 adhesive and those ends are to be at the top of the transom shield. It also calls for using this adhesive when installing a new exhaust gasket.

As far as the cut-out for the steering, I used a hole saw held at an angle as well. Don, posted a pdf sometime ago of the cut-out template. I'll try to find it.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, don't use a saw's all, it's worth the cost of the tool, saber saw to do it correct. Buy the right type of blades too. Heck Harbor freight is cheap as dirt, just don't expect the best quality product. Lots of the guys here buy the grinders there because fiberglass destroys grinders rather quick, but for $20.00 it's still cheaper than ruining a quality one.