Looking at an old Bayliner, need some other opinions please

SeaViking

Cadet
Hey everyone,
I posted on here a few years back when we picked up an old tri-hull boat that proved to need more work than we wanted to invest at the time. Since then I have been content fishing from shore and my canoe, sitting back watching everyone's amazing restoration jobs and following the stripers up the Hudson every year. Lately I have been doing unholy redneck things to 1963 Montgomery ward seaking that would probably land me in your guys joke thread! Lol.

Today I found an ad for a boat I plan to see this weekend. It is a 1987 bayliner with a125 force motor on it. Owner claims he had it on the water a little last year. I can see the plywood floor and the torn up seats. I requested a few pics of the side but if all else fails it is only 40 minutes from the house. Here is the link:

Http://albany.craigslist.org/boa/4456163536.html

Let me know what you guys think, I know it can be a crap shoot with what is under the deck.

Thanks in advance.

MikDee

Banned
Re: Looking at an old Bayliner, need some other opinions please

If this is a ski-boat, be careful,,, some of them are so low slung, you're either kneeling, or squatting, never sitting comfortably, like my boat.

SeaViking

Cadet

It does look pretty squat in there huh? I would have to get in and sit down to see. I am dreading what the side of it may look like if he didn't already include pics.

tpenfield

Staff member

You will know more once you see it . . . but . . . 1987, now being a 27 year old boat, puts it right in the thick of things for another restoration thread candidate. The asking price is not too bad, but plan on needing some additional investment.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Lessoned learned on the first boat…You get what you pay for. $1200 Is not a lot for a boat and most likely it will just like the first boat. Worthless!

Save the $1200 and keep adding money and start looking this fall for a better more sea worthy boat. Fix’er up this winter and have a great Summer in 2015.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

20 year old Bayliner with a Force Motor...Uhmm Run Don't walk...AWAY!!!!! That's NOT a fish N' Ski thats a Sink and Swim!!!!:facepalm:

MikDee

Banned

Hey, You knockin my boat? Only I can do that,,,lol

Attachments

• Boating pics 032.jpg small.jpg
    Boating pics 032.jpg small.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

20 year old Bayliner with a Force Motor...Uhmm Run Don't walk...AWAY!!!!! That's NOT a fish N' Ski thats a Sink and Swim!!!!:facepalm:
Let me re-phrase just a bit...20 year old Bayliner with a Force Motor Needing a Total Rebuild and priced @ $1,200.00...Uhmm Run Don't walk...AWAY!!!!! That's NOT a fish N' Ski thats a Sink and Swim!!!!

briangcc

Commander

I'd be running too!!!

That plywood floor may very well be a 2nd deck hiding the mulch that was the factory deck. And if that's the case that would more than likely mean the stringers and transom are mulch as well. Add to that the torn seats and the obsolete outboard, 27yr old boat, and you couldn't pay me enough to take it.

Having owned a Force outboard...I'd never own one again. I repowered with a Honda after the Force was 1 yr old if that tells you anything about the quality of Force engines.

Repeat...RUN!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

If you haven't canceled the apt. I would recommend doing so now. Once you replace all the rotted out wood, you will most likely need a new outboard too. I wouldn't take it for free if I was trying to get on the water to fish. I would start looking at fishing boats, not that thing. Good luck to you, with the budget of $1200, you wont find much that isn't a project.

SeaViking

Cadet

Thanks guys I wondered if it would be worth it especially after the first boat fiasco. I always troll craigslist like a lot of you and always ready to pounce on a deal. I think I will take the advice and save a grab something nice this fall. I will keep you guys updated, I love this forum. Have the canoe and tinny so it's not like I can't get out there at all. Had a bear of a time registering it in NY without original paperwork. Would like to strip it down and paint it over the winter so that will be another thread. Thanks again guys!

SeaViking

Cadet

Any interest in seeing the tinny guys? Just picked it up a couple months ago, been upgrading and fixing it but not like some the overhauls you see here. Had a pin hole in the back at very bottom when we tested it. Have been sealing, adding rod holders and fixing the seats now. I am a big DIY er and I fab a lot. But I'll post up if ya'll are interested.