star craft cps rotten

slinginrods

Recruit
I have had my star craft cps for about 8 years , now I am starting to rebuild it .the floor was soft so I was going to just replace the mushy section only to find out the entire rear section is rotted along with the stringers and about 4 inches of the left side of the transom. Will I need to remove the cap to fix the transom or can it be repaired another way? I love this boat my wife thinks I should just get rid of it. About 6 years ago it got a full custom paint job which is showing it's age. I can't find much info on these boats it's an 84. Is it worth it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: star craft cps rotten

Welcome to iBoats!

Is it worth it? That's up to you. To do a Full Blown Restore, which more than likely is what you're gunna need to do, will cost you approx. $2,000 and about 200 hours of your time. When you're done she'll be like NEW or better and last another 40 yrs. You said you LOVE this boat sooo...if the numbers work then yeah I guess it's worth it.

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

'worth' it depends on many factors... do you have the urge and skills (or willing to learn them if not) to tear into an old boat and rebuild her? Pics would be good, to get an idea what you are dealing with, along with other generic info on your boat like size, outboard or I/O, before offering any advice of what/how/where/etc...

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :)

slinginrods

Recruit

2000 doesn't sound bad to me. I was wondering what these little boats are worth. It's a 17 cps not much info on them , the hull looks like an old cigarette or checkmate but with an out board.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If you love the boat it is worth it. You get a like new boat for a small fraction of the cost of a brand new one when you restore it.

The transom will need to be completely replaced and not just patched at the rotten spot, transoms are monolithic and go in in one piece. You can cut the back section of the cap off to access the transom and glass it back together when you're finished if you don't want to pull the whole cap, but removing the whole cap might make the job easier overall when you factor in having to redo the stringers too.