91 Lund Rebel -Transom Crack

mstrklstr

Recruit
Hi,
Just found this site a couple days ago. Great forum!!
My wife and I are looking to sell my 16' 1991 lund rebel to upgrade to something more comfortable for cruising around.
I've had this boat between my dad and i for about 15 years. In the last 6 or so years, i've noticed the metal cap that runs along the transom is cracking where the motor is bolted. Both sides. One all the way thru, the other is almost all the way.

I've had it into shops a couple times, inquired about the integrity of the transom and everyone has said that its nothing to worry about. There is very little load on that part. I havent seen any other cracks on the transom and I have never had any safety concerns.
What do you guys think?
My main concern is how to explain this to someone who would potentially be buying this boat and try to put their mind at ease regarding the safety of it.
Any suggestions?
Also, NADA puts the value from $2250 to $2500. 91 Johnson 40hp (rebuilt 7yrs ago), aftermarket tilt/trim, trailer, all in great shape. Think i'll be able to get $2,000 for it?

transom crack 1.jpgtransom crack 2.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 91 Lund Rebel -Transom Crack

Does the transom flex if you stand on the lower leg of the motor?

jbcurt00

Staff member

^^^ Yep, and IMO, you've gotten bad advise from whoever you asked about the transom cap cracks. It HAS to be experiencing stress or it wouldn't have cracked.

I suspect that it's not as easy to replace a Lund transom as it is on some tin boats, and that there's a good bit of labor involved & very little fabrication or materials required. Makes it a 'simple' repair that's time consuming. Some shops would rather not deal w/ it.

I don't think you should be using it w/out extensive investigation into the plywood transom's condition. W/out seeing the boat in person & seeing the motor running, a water test of boat & motor would be even better, I wouldn't want to guess what it would be worth in your market during fishing season, needing some repair to the transom.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

^^^ Yep, and IMO, you've gotten bad advise from whoever you asked about the transom cap cracks. It HAS to be experiencing stress or it wouldn't have cracked.

I suspect that it's not as easy to replace a Lund transom as it is on some tin boats, and that there's a good bit of labor involved & very little fabrication or materials required. Makes it a 'simple' repair that's time consuming. Some shops would rather not deal w/ it.

I don't think you should be using it w/out extensive investigation into the plywood transom's condition. W/out seeing the boat in person & seeing the motor running, a water test of boat & motor would be even better, I wouldn't want to guess what it would be worth in your market during fishing season, needing some repair to the transom.

JBC pretty much nailed it.

You can see Budski squawking about what a PITA it is to change out a Lund transom in this recent thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...pair/70-something-lund-15-rebuild-647739.html