Well I have a question....again.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have an '88 Western Aluminum fishing boat, and I would like to refinish the inside of the boat, originally it had a finish that was a bit rough, kind of a tan color with black and brown specs in it for traction, has anyone refinished one of these types of boats and if so, what the heck did you use? I am pretty proficient with painting, but have never done anything like this.

Thanks in advance.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Well I have a question....again.

What ever method you decide to use do not do it in black. DANG HOT!!!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I have an '88 Western Aluminum fishing boat, and I would like to refinish the inside of the boat, originally it had a finish that was a bit rough, kind of a tan color with black and brown specs in it for traction, has anyone refinished one of these types of boats and if so, what the heck did you use? I am pretty proficient with painting, but have never done anything like this.

Thanks in advance.

I think you are talking about the floor....
Did the floor on my Clipper a number of years ago.
I used a good quality exterior floor paint on top of a zinc chromate primer....(lot of bare spots on the aluminum....if your old finish is sound but just faded etc., just clean really well and use a regular primer) While the paint was still wet, I sprinkled fine silica sand on it. That is the only near-tricky part. I had a salt shaker that was a perfect "delivery rate" item. You can experiment or just use a method that is a light delivery and make a bunch of passes.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Brown specs......... = Crushed Walnut shells :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Soda blast the a coat of sherwin Williams wash primer then a coat of SW 2-part epoxy paint with a texture coat.

Last the life of the boat. Cant chip it with a hammer

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Pictures, pictures, pictures... we need to see pics of what you have for the best help.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Okay, here ya go, those all important pictures!

boatcoat1.jpg

boatcoat2.jpg

boatcoat3.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That's called Zolatoning. You can do that your self with a a Wallpaper brush and a stick. Did the floor on my boat in about an hour and a half. About 60 sq ft. I used Rustoleum Oil Based Paint.

Photo0253.jpg

Takes a bit of time and patience but it can be done. If you want some traction put some playground sand in the paint. It will come out nice.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thanks in advance.

I would media blast the interior, use an aluminum etching solution like Alumiprep and paint it with any good epoxy covering for aluminum.......... like the following: http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/detail.jsp?A=sku-26156:product-6835 or Interlux Perfection etc.........

I don't think you need to use zinc chromate if you use an epoxy primer.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral