Stumbled into a starcraft ss rebuild

Llabon

Cadet
Hey folks. I am new to the forum. I stumbled across it because I bought a starcraft over the winter. Mainly bought it for the engine. A 75 merc, 1991. While researching the boat I came across the forum. Didn't realize how these boats could be resurrected. Needless to say I was inspired by all the restorations and dove in. Having trouble posting so if this goes through ill post pictures tomorrow. Just want to say thanks for all the great information on the forum.

Llabon

Cadet
Re: Stumbled into a starcraft ss rebuild

This is what I uncovered the first day. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Old boats can actually be restored to better than new if you want to spend the time and money, to me the time and money is more than worth it. You get a like new or better than new boat for a small fraction of the cost of a brand new boat.

jim ban

Cadet

What year is your SS? I am doing a 78 good luck! ( thread:78 starcraft ss redo )

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

You will find a lot of helpful guys and gals here on the forum. Keep posting questions and pics and as long as you put in the time and effort you'll have a successful restoration and be back on the water with a boat that will probably be better than she was when she came of the factory line!!!

Don't forget to "PIN" yourself on the iBoats Members Map...https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=935424

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Welcome to the Starmada! :welcome:

Llabon

Cadet

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. My starcraft is an 84. Hull is in good shape and luckily the transom was good. Did find one spot where PO screwed the floor on right through the bottom of the boat. Rivet, gluvit, and 5200 have fixed that problem.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

T Did find one spot where PO screwed the floor on right through the bottom of the boat. Rivet, gluvit, and 5200 have fixed that problem.

Welcome to the Tin drydock, Llabon.

I missed a rib when I was drilling to put the floor in. I couldn't figure out why the screw wouldn't bite. It was because the screw was too short. :embarassed: I even marked the centerline for every rib.

Keep the pics coming! And have fun bringing her back to life.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I saw a picture of your deck.....had a hole in the bow area of the deck with a crowbar next to it..
..try to keep as much of the floor intact as possible.... helpful to have as a pattern
when you replace the deck..........

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander

Welcome.. Seems like there are allot of 16SS Starcrafts showing up here in the dry dock.

I call that a good thing. Maybe we can get a famous musician to do a commercial on the value of saving these worthy boats!

Or maybe not cause it leaves more tin for us to find and restore!

Great looking project. Tagging along for all the fun.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I saw a picture of your deck.....had a hole in the bow area of the deck with a crowbar next to it..
..try to keep as much of the floor intact as possible.... helpful to have as a pattern
when you replace the deck..........

That's what happens when you screw your decking down and then glue and carpet over top of it, you either have to tear/cut the deck out in pieces or sand the old glue off the find the screw heads to back them out... much better to wrap the decking in carpet and then screw it down into the boat.

Llabon

Cadet

Having read previous threads I tried to save the deck as a template. Unfortunately it crumbled in my hands. PO propped up the floor with pressure treated 2x4s and just laid deck over the top. It was a mess. So I pulled everything out and ripped out the floor. Foam was water logged and had to rip that out too. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Llabon

Cadet

I eventually want to paint the outside. What is the best way to remove decals?

Llabon

Cadet

Here is a pic of the outside of the boat. Barely fit in the garage. image.jpg