OMG! Did I just Waste a Boat Hull

TruckindudeLH

Recruit
I have an 89 WelCraft 170 Classic. Mericruiser inboard.

I feel like such an idiot!

I was trying to remove some flooring that was rotten. With a circular saw. Well I discover a foot into the cut that I was too deep not to mention to far to the edge. I cut through the hull. First words out of the mouth were OH-F***! And then the first thought was were is the nearest salvage yard.

So If anyone can recommend the best way to fix an "OH-F***" or are finding the directions to the nearest the best bet.

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMG! Did I just Waste a Boat Hull

I have an 89 WelCraft 170 Classic. Mericruiser inboard.

I feel like such an idiot!

I was trying to remove some flooring that was rotten. With a circular saw. Well I discover a foot into the cut that I was too deep not to mention to far to the edge. I cut through the hull. First words out of the mouth were OH-F***! And then the first thought was were is the nearest salvage yard...

:lol: It happens.... welcome to dry dock, and no worries, everything is repairable. Got some pics? If you are cutting out rotten flooring, you may be into rotten stringers as well, so if it ends up gutted down to the hull a little slice through it isn't a big deal to repair.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

Now that you have THAT out of your system, you can settle down to the REST of the restoration process. We call those "High Speed Water Inlets!" Those are some of the easiest repairs there are and by the time you're done with all the rest of your restoration issues you will understand how insignificant this really was.

These two links will be a good start for you...

"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"

Click the pic to download and view the PDF File

View attachment MaterialsList.pdf

Don't forget to "PIN" yourself on the iBoats Members Map...https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=935424

Last edited:

Pink-Panthered

Seaman Apprentice

I did something similar a week ago. Put a nice 3" cut in my hull using a grinder. I was worried at first too. Now it is not a big deal!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral

Yup I had my grinder removing alot of bad mfg glass. And actually I did cut into the hull but the glass stunk anyway. So better now than it was. Easy fix! Go with WOG.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Definitely no worries!
That is almost like a initiation ritual around these parts...no "high speed water inlets" in your hull, no admittance to the "club"...
Have fun and welcome to the restoration forum.
Best of luck!
GT1M:)

TruckindudeLH

Recruit

:lol: It happens.... welcome to dry dock, and no worries, everything is repairable. Got some pics? If you are cutting out rotten flooring, you may be into rotten stringers as well, so if it ends up gutted down to the hull a little slice through it isn't a big deal to repair.

Thanks for the reply. I still feel like an idiot, but I think I'll hold off on finding the salvage yard.

Yes I do have bad stringer. The stringers at the junctions around the gas tank are completely decade. This is going to be a job I am not looking forward to doing. So all the advice will be very very much appreciated.

So, here is the first of many questions. I bought some PC-11 epoxy paste a while back to do some fill on a few other rough spots on the transom. Can I use this to fill the 1/8" cut and fiberglass the inside? My thought is that I won't have to do any painting or gelcoat the outside. he cut appears to be under the water line and well out-of-site for cosmetic purposes.

TruckindudeLH

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. I still feel like an idiot, but I think I'll hold off on finding the salvage yard.

Yes I do have bad stringer. The stringers at the junctions around the gas tank are completely decade. This is going to be a job I am not looking forward to doing. So all the advice will be very very much appreciated.

So, here is the first of many questions. I bought some PC-11 epoxy paste a while back to do some fill on a few other rough spots on the transom. Can I use this to fill the 1/8" cut and fiberglass the inside? My thought is that I won't have to do any painting or gelcoat the outside. he cut appears to be under the water line and well out-of-site for cosmetic purposes.

Thanks to all of you for helping me get past this "OH-F***" moment. From the sounds of it, it even happens to the best of you. So I will wipe the tears and move on to getting my money hole into the water.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

To be honest i'm not sure you can really do much to a hull to completely destroy it. Unless you cut the thing in half then quarter it you could probably glass it back together. After ripping mine apart and finding out how crappy it was built from the factory it proves to me it doesnt even need to be done right to last. Mine was perfectly usable after 20 years of use and built like crap.

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

+1 to that... Just Check out my boat... and i was ON it, floating dockside, revving the 454 to 3500 rpm thinking "wow.. this is a nice boat..." :facepalm:

A guy i was talking to the other day told me about a 44' or so chris craft he saw getting repaired... they ran into some rocks in rough weather, put a hole the size of a fridge in the side of her.. now THAT was an expensive repair job, but that boat is STILL floating around here somewhere...

Last edited: