Coats of Paint??

Seaman
I?m finishing up a glassed ply/foam fish box that?s build it to my boat. What would the suggested number of Rustoleum Professional thinned and rolled coats be to with stand the abuse of ice and fish (wahoo, mahi, tunas, etc.) flopping around in the box? Would a coating of epoxy over the paint job make it stronger, it won?t be exposed to sunlight. Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Coats of Paint??

I would simply use epoxy paint vs rustoleum in this case.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would roll on some Gelcoat. It would be the most durable coating

Seaman

I would roll on some Gelcoat. It would be the most durable coating

Thanks WOG. I'm not to familiar with gelcoat. What materials would I need and what kind of technique is needed to apply gelcoat in this manner?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Gelcoat can be rolled on. It's pretty much just a tinted Polyested resin. You mix it like resin with a hardener and then roll it on using a short nap 4" roller. 3-4 coats so it's about as thick as a penney and it's wear like IRON. It's what the outside of all fiberglass boats are coated with.

Seaman

Gelcoat can be rolled on. It's pretty much just a tinted Polyested resin. You mix it like resin with a hardener and then roll it on using a short nap 4" roller. 3-4 coats so it's about as thick as a penney and it's wear like IRON. It's what the outside of all fiberglass boats are coated with.

Thanks again, WOG. Think I'll have a problem with this because my fish box is built with epoxy resin, right?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OOPS. Yep, Gelcoat don't like epoxy. Solly Cholly I didn't realize it was epoxy!!!! MY BAD!!!! I'd prolly spray it with this then...
SPAesWhtSpL.ashx

Once it cures it's water resistant and tough as nails.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral

OOPS. Yep, Gelcoat don't like epoxy. Solly Cholly I didn't realize it was epoxy!!!! MY BAD!!!! I'd prolly spray it with this then...
SPAesWhtSpL.ashx

Once it cures it's water resistant and tough as nails.

You threw me a curve ball WOG. Thanks for clarifying. lol.

Seaman

Thanks again for the input. I'll let you guys know how things turn out.