Wrapping 1708 over stringers?

laxray

Seaman Apprentice
How do I get the 1708 to pull down tight as it goes over the top of the stringers? Is there a trick? I do have the edged rounded some.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wrapping 1708 over stringers?

Is there a reason you're wanting to go over the top with the 1708?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

You should start one thread for your boat restoration and keep everything in that one thread...makes it easier for all the guys to follow along and keeps everything nice and organized for you and every one else to have a reference...

laxray

Seaman Apprentice

Is there a reason you're wanting to go over the top with the 1708?

I was basing my fiberglass lay out on a past post of yours.... but after reading the side caption again I see the "if you want to" I have decided to run the 1708 up the sides and then cap the top later. I was thinking of maybe leaving enough on each side where I could use boards wrapped in plastic and spring clamps to pull the 1708 tight.

Decker83

Commander

You should round over the corners of the stringers.. You can cut all the 1708 have it laid out on the hull csm face up.. Wet out the 1708 and then drape it over the stringer.. Wait enough time to let the resin completely wet out the 1708.. Also give the stringer a coat of resin before you put the 1708 in place..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you read the paragraph on the right, the last sentence states that I still recommend just using CSM to cap the stringers. It's very difficult to roll 1708 over the top of 3/4" stingers without getting air bubbles. You can do it but I'm still not convinced it's worth the effort. 1708 is use for strength. I don't see the need for strength in the top edge of the stringer. You're just looking to seal it and the CSM will adequately do that. I'd just run the 1708 up to the top of each side and cap off the top with CSM. I guess I need to update the drawing. Just remember, This is just MY opinion. I'm just ONE DUMB OLD OKIE. There's plenty of other opinions and methods for doing stringers sooo... DON'T just take my method and run with it!!! It's your boat and you should do what make sense to you and you thinks best. I'm just putting out there what has worked for me and what I've gleaned from others here on the forum. ;)

Last edited:

laxray

Seaman Apprentice

So on the one I tried to roll it over I should grind that off and just cap it and then do that on the rest? That was what I was about to do.

What about wood for cleats? The boat originally had plywood but it also had many problems like staples through the deck. I'm thinking about laminating 2 pieces of 3/4 then rapping them in CSM and gluing and clamping to the side of the stringer but do it so that the solid face is up and the layers are on the side.