Arrow Glass Repairs

WesH

Cadet
First time poster, long-time reader.
I've recently come into possession of a 1970's ('76, maybe?) Arrow Glass. I believe this is the Triton model, although I'm not certain about that. It has one seat in the front, a center seat over a live well, and a rear seat. It also has stick steering. The previous owner was a tad neglectful of the poor boat, and had done some shoddy fiberglass repair. I've stripped most of the fittings loose so that I can sand down the "repairs" and redo them, and I've hit upon two questions.
A small area (maybe 8" x 8") just under where the rear seat bolts to the floor is squishy, so I'm assuming rot. Does anyone have any info on how these boats are built under the 'glass? Can I cut a small panel out of the floor and access the wood underneath? Are there better solutions?
Secondly, on the transom, there are two chrome rings to tie off to. What are these called? The studs have rusted off, so I'm trying to find replacements.
Photo on 5-11-14 at 11.05 AM.jpg
Thanks in advance,
Wes

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Arrow Glass Repairs

Welcome with your first post.

The pieces are "bow eyes" found here Boat Bow Eyes

If your decking is soft......that is usually the LAST part to get soft and you might have some severe rot below the deck along with wet foam and maybe lot's more rot. The proper way to access that is to uncap the hull and the down and dirty way is to cut a small hole to investigate what evils lie beneath it. I would use a circular saw with the blade set very shallow (1/2") and cut a small square out to start.

WesH

Cadet

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. I'm planning on cutting a pretty large section of the fiberglass out in this area, just so I can get a feel for what's going on inside. I'll let you now how it turns out.
Wes

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The bigger the hole you cut, the bigger the feeling you're going to get.

The mushy spot is the entry point that has let a lot of water go below deck to do damage, and normally the damage is widespread... but nothing that can't be fixed. But when you take out all the rot and replace it with new you'll have a like new boat for a small fraction of the price of a brand new boat.

WesH

Cadet

So, this may be a weird question, but would it be easier to separate the hull pieces and have access to all of the interior wood to replace it, or should I just cut and patch where I think it's needed?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Removing the cap would probably be best, you'll get a quicker overall view of what needs to be done and will have better access.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Posting pics of your boat so we can all see what you're working on will help you receive the best answers to your questions. Open a free Photobucket account and once you upload your pics use the IMG code to copy your pic back here to iBoats. I had an old Chrysler Stick steer boat much like the one you describe. I look forward to seeing your pics.