Improvements or enhancements to your boat

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class
So im interested in thoughts as to what ideas people have for improving their boat. Maybe you have an idea that you've contemplated but never gone through with. Maybe you added or built something that has worked well. Figured it may be beneficial to have a thread which everyone could mention ideas. What better time to go through with these type projects than when in the restoration or build phase.

One idea I have thought about was mounting a pump with valve in the boat which would connect to the lower portion of the oil pan. My thoughts were to connect a hose to the other side of the pump, open the valve and you would be able to pump the oil out of the motor for oil changes. I think this is nothing new so if you are familiar please speak up with how it works etc.

Another was to design some sort of "scupper" in the lowest portion of the bilge. Im pretty anal about keeping my bilge dry, so after each outing I usually take a wet dry vac and suck the last bit of water out. Its always a pain to contort my body in a way I can reach with a hose to the lowest part and suck the water out. If I had some sort of scupper already fixed in that position that connected to a hose in an easier to reach area I could just hook my vac up to the hose.

anyways just a couple thoughts. What ideas do you all have.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Improvements or enhancements to your boat

Like this?
Jabsco Permanent Oil Drain Hose And Fitting 18080-0000

There are several pump configurations for removing oil from crank case, in my Thompson I had a simple rubber hose that attached to the drain plug, when it was time to drain the oil you just put the tube out the bilge drain hole and remove the brass end plug and drain.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like this?
Jabsco Permanent Oil Drain Hose And Fitting 18080-0000

There are several pump configurations for removing oil from crank case, in my Thompson I had a simple rubber hose that attached to the drain plug, when it was time to drain the oil you just put the tube out the bilge drain hole and remove the brass end plug and drain.

LOL thats even a more simple idea... I will definately be adding that

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay, dont everyone jump in at once LOL

A few more thoughts I had. What are you all using for docking stations? Most of my friends have either Apple or Samsung based phones. Do many of you have head units with docking stations or is it better to just stream via bluetooth or another method. Going forward I really want to add some sort of way that people can play music through the head unit. Prior we always had to rely on someone bringing some sort of separate audio station to set on the back of the boat.

Another thought was Ipad integration. With Ipads having the ability to find location via GPS you should be able to use an Ipad along with charts as a plotter. Would also be nice to integrate the Ipad into the head unit so you can stream music as well. Anyone gone down this road.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you want info about electronic upgrades, might surf thru the electronics forum.

Only resto forum thread I can remember doing much high tech upgrades was BakerJW, but I don't think he got them all installed before he splashed the redone boat:
[h=1]Stratos 1850 possible rebuild?[/h]Not much since it got wet again. Might try sending him a PM. See if he ever finished all the intended upgrades.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Yes, I have made improvements and enhancements to the design of the original interior and the boat in general!
I have completely gutted my tub and am currently putting it back together the way I want it, instead of the way it was originally built...
I have used, not only this forum but several others, along with many searches throughout the interweb, to get ideas on how I want the layout in my boat to be.
I have upgraded many items throughout, some are minor and some have been pretty involved...
There are still many more things on the horizon before I am finished, that I would consider huge improvements over the original design...
Has definitely taken me way longer to do it this way, and cost quite a bit more, but in the end, it will have nothing to envy of the modern day bass boat designs and it will be exactly the way I want it...
For way more information on what I have done, I would suggest checking out my very long and drawn out thread...see my sig below...
Happy Sunday!:)

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another item I have always wanted to rig up is a sorta alarm to alert everyone of water entering the bilge. One method would be to wire a light or possibly a buzzer to the float. Another way I thought about would be to use one of the water sensitive switch thingys.

To make a long story short years ago I forgot to put the plug in. Once I realized it water was literally up to the rear spark plugs. Since then I have always contemplated some sort of alarm.

Anyone ever gone down this road?

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer

Another item I have always wanted to rig up is a sorta alarm to alert everyone of water entering the bilge. One method would be to wire a light or possibly a buzzer to the float. Another way I thought about would be to use one of the water sensitive switch thingys.

To make a long story short years ago I forgot to put the plug in. Once I realized it water was literally up to the rear spark plugs. Since then I have always contemplated some sort of alarm.

Anyone ever gone down this road?

.... well equipped boats have high water alarms,... along with (2) back up bilge pumps,.. one of my (3) bilge pumps is direct wired and dedicated solely to one float switch.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

.... well equipped boats have high water alarms,... along with (2) back up bilge pumps,.. one of my (3) bilge pumps is direct wired and dedicated solely to one float switch.

I have never had one but since im basically rebuilding this boat it definitely will. Especially since its really not all that hard to rig up. I ran across a thread in the electronics section after I had posted the idea. He basically detailed out wiring and even the alarm / light he uses.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer

I have never had one but since im basically rebuilding this boat it definitely will. Especially since its really not all that hard to rig up. I ran across a thread in the electronics section after I had posted the idea. He basically detailed out wiring and even the alarm / light he uses.
Yup,..even more important for the ppl who keep their boats 'in'.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer

what would be really helpful is to hook the high water alarm to your cell phone network,.. so your phone will alert you if your pump kicks on.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

what would be really helpful is to hook the high water alarm to your cell phone network,.. so your phone will alert you if your pump kicks on.

Hummmmm... you have me thinking.

With a little development it wouldn't be too awful hard if the marina the boat was in had wifi.

Would get trickier if you wanted to call the cell or text the cell. Its doable but would take some work.

Might be possible to adapt some of the tech they are using with home alarm systems nowadays.