Restoration of 1960s Elgin w/9.9 hp Gamefisher

Marlin Cone

Recruit
I purchased a somewhat run down 1960s (have no documentation of year) Elgin, which I've had restored and have mounted a 1985 9.9 hp Gamefisher onto. I'm about finished, but need the following items to complete the job and would appreciate any help members of this Forum can give me:
  • I need a new steering wheel (the current one is in bad condition) and the cable for steering the boat (none existed when I bought the boat)
  • I need controls so I can start the motor from the captain's seat (all the controls had been removed some time ago by previous owners).

I have searched on the internet and haven't been to find a replacement steering wheel or control set. I would be most appreciative if anyone can help me get this job completed so we can get the boat in the lake and begin enjoying the little treasure. Thanks in advance to anyone helping.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Restoration of 1960s Elgin w/9.9 hp Gamefisher

MC: I'd remove your email & phone #, probably isn't a good idea anyway since it's an open forum, but it's also against the forum rules we all agreed to when we joined.

A MOD may redact if for you...

You want a period correct steering wheel, cables, guide pulleys & motor attachment bracket. Steering wheel is probably best sourced on ebay, vintage wheels are offered ALL the time. Do you need the drum assembly the wheel attaches too as well?

You need to know exactly what type of wheel hub/shaft you need to work w/ your drum/hub if it's still on the boat & all you need is the wheel.

Pulleys & etc are available online, and you can get coated cable at most hardware stores.

The remote controls, throttle & F-N-R, for a 1985 motor shouldn't be hard to find either, if the motor is set up for remote use, w/ or w/out the keyed remote start, if the motor is setup for it.