I think my boat is sitting to low in the water.

Jason1976

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1967' hydro swift boat 19' with 1967' Johnson 100 HP outboard motor. last weekend was my first run. I had four people in the boat (650#) and was unable to plane. My motor is warn and I'm sure that doesn't help. But when we are in the boat it sits so low that the splash bin on the stern is barely 1" above the water. There is hole that I'm assuming is supposed to be a drain to let water out as it comes in? The drain hole is actually below the water when the boat is not moving. Is this a drain hole? Is it normal to sit this low? After removing the carpet from the boat I did find about a 4' stress crack in the floor and there are some old screw holes from were the old gas tank was installed. I'm sure water has been getting in there for years. I thought about installing a new drain and plug to drain the space below the floor, but I'm wondering if that would be waste if the foam and everything has already been getting wet for years that its just water logged more than likely I will probably have to cut the floor out and re-foam. I've repaired a couple small fishing boats with the 2 part foam, but I've never attempted a project this big. Does anyone know how this boat is laid out as far as floor support and what not. Any advise on removing and reinstalling the floor? thanks in advance

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: I think my boat is sitting to low in the water.

If there is in fact foam below deck and it is waterlogged it could add an additional 800#'s to your boat, with 650# of passengers and a 400# motor then YAH your boat's gunna sit LOW in the water. That IS a splash well drain tube to allow any water that splashes into it to drain OUT. If it's below the water line...That's a big NO NO!!! You should not be operating your boat in these conditions. I'd recommend you do some exploratory investigations on the condition of the foam and if in fact it is waterlogged, it will need to be removed and replaced. It cannot be dried out. You will also need to investigate the condition of the stringers, bulkeads and transom. If they have been sitting in waterlogged foam for an extended period of time their structural integrity may have been compromised.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I second WOG's comments above. You really need to check your boat over extremely well to verify the foam AND for rotted floor, transom, stringers and any other issues. A real good idea would be to have your boat weighted. Take your boat (and trailer of course) to a truck weight station and see if they will weigh it for you. Then subtract the engine weight and the trailer weight and see if the boat weight is about what your boat is suppose to weigh. That could explain everything sitting so lo. That hole in the splash well area is to allow over splash out...not in. If it is sitting that low, you have some real serious issues that you have to find and fix. Once you do find and fix those issues, you may be pleasantly surprised how peppy your 100HP engine becomes! Oh, and for the record, you are not the only one with this type issue either. Just read a few of these threads and see...

Jason1976

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the replies, I'm going to cut a couple holes in it this weekend, ill post my findings. does anyone have a questament idea what my boat by itself should weigh? anyone know what the motor weighs?