CSM Fibers Sticking Out!!

laxray

Seaman Apprentice
So I encapsulated some plywood in CSM today with poly resin.... I have many random fibers that stick out.... What do I do with these? Do I grind them off? and recoat? Just looking for suggestions here.

laxray

Seaman Apprentice
Re: CSM Fibers Sticking Out!!

First attempt lots of stray fibers

Second attempt still had some stray fibers.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just grind them off. The first pic looks a little dry. I would use more resin and wet it out a little better. 2nd pic lokks great to me.

laxray

Seaman Apprentice

2nd was actually the third try.. I figured out to put some nails in my work table and that way the piece was up and only touched in 4 places. Do I need to recoat after sanding/grinding or only if I am not adding more layers of 1708 or csm etc?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What kind of resin did u use? If u used resin with a wax and u want to add more layers of glass then u need to sand the surface for the next layer of glass if it has cured. You can lay multiple layers at once before it starts to harden to avoid the sanding.
Resin with no wax,then no sanding.

tpenfield

Staff member

+1 to the comment about being a bit short on the resin in the first picture.

To go around corners such as you are doing, a trick that you can do is to wrap the piece(s) in plastic and stretch it fairly tight, right after you apply the CSM and the resin. You may want to use some tape to hold the plastic tight once you have wrapped the piece.

You will want to sand the piece a bit after it cures, if doing additional layers of glass.

Here is a small hatch that I glassed on all sides with CSM and wrapped in plastic wrap for curing . . . it comes out smooth all-around with very little sanding and follow-up work needed.
IMG_4045.jpg

I didn't even need to tape the plastic to itself in order to hold it tight, since the piece was fairly small.

Last edited:

laxray

Seaman Apprentice

This is laminating resin. So with the plastic, does it release easily from the CSM resin mixture or do you have to pick out all the pieces?

Other problem I was having was that I did one side the day before mainly for time constraints then the 2nd side the next day after wiping with acetone. For the second side I cut the csm to cover the whole side and wrap around on the 1st side. For the corners I cut out squares so there was not a ton of overlap. Is there an easier way?

tpenfield

Staff member

This is laminating resin. So with the plastic, does it release easily from the CSM resin mixture or do you have to pick out all the pieces?

Other problem I was having was that I did one side the day before mainly for time constraints then the 2nd side the next day after wiping with acetone. For the second side I cut the csm to cover the whole side and wrap around on the 1st side. For the corners I cut out squares so there was not a ton of overlap. Is there an easier way?

Typically the plastic peels right off. The only thing is that the resin will be fully cured, similar to having wax in the resin. So, it is fine for single coat applications or if you plan on sanding for additional layers.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Some needle sharp strands sticking up is kinda normal. Even at the factory we always rubbed a piece of 36 grit sandpaper over a cured laminate just to break them off. We rubbed just gently all over cause they are hard to see. If going for another layer one of those "needles" would make the next layer a real pain to roll down without air voids.