Respirator?

hevysrf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking at doing the deck on my 17 ft seaway this winter, and trying to line up what I need. What is the recommended face mask? Different cartridges for sanding and laminating? Thanks Marty D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Respirator?

Minimum recommended with appropriate filters
051138542511lg.jpg

Preferred with appropriate filters

051138660567lg.jpg

hevysrf

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are they 6000 series? Any part #s for the right filters? Thanks

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I don't know how much the filter media cost for those models, but my respirator for organic vapors (i.e., the one I used when laminating) has very expensive canister filters -- maybe 50 buck for a pair. Those canisters also would filter fine particulates, but I didn't want to clog up the expensive canisters with dust, so I bought a less expensive mask that has only the P100 particulate filters. This second mask was much cheaper and the filter media was inexpensive, too, which encouraged me to change it regularly. Perhaps the models that Wood listed can take the particulate-only filters as well as the organic filters.

I saved the respirator with the organic filters for working with resin. If I had used that respirator for grinding, I would have been buying lots of expensive cartridges!

A full-face mask would have been very nice for grinding, though. I don't think I'd want that for 'glassing, though.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are they 6000 series? Any part #s for the right filters? Thanks

I'm waiting for a call back from a local 3M dealer I stopped at earlier this week. I'm looking at the 6311 half mask and told them I need a respirator that is rated for isocyanides, organic vapors. They don't stock any masks or filters, what they do is contact 3M and 3M tells them which filters are recommended.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

3M - 60921 Organic Vapor Cartridge...For the resin vapor

3M - 2091/07000 Particulate...for grinding the fiberglass

Both for the 5000/ 6000/ 7000 respirator

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

Do yourself a favor get the full face one.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

IF your gunna be Grinding and or Painting, TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!!!! The full face Respirator is worth every penny you'll pay for it!!!:eek: For resin work..The half mask is plenty good.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

3M - 60921 Organic Vapor Cartridge...For the resin vapor

3M - 2091/07000 Particulate...for grinding the fiberglass

Both for the 5000/ 6000/ 7000 respirator
Not to completely hijack this thread but which cartridge do you recomend for paint with hardener added?

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

enough of this respirator talk....you have a 17' Seaway? Pictures please!!! I have one too. Will be my next restore. Would love to see yours!! Don't see many of these but I get so many compliments on the hull when I launch mine. Post pics, please...oh & you DO need a good respirator!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

If I'm not mistaken, Lowe's carries those filters/respirators. I use 3m setup myself when I paint, and I honestly thought Lowe's had them in their stores. I'm not talking about the little dust masks or the valved dust masks either, but the 3m filter cartridges... And I was told a few times that IF you can smell the fumes, your filters are gone OR you need the right cartridge for the material you are using. When I spray automotive paints and wear the 3m respirator/filters I can't smell any paint at all... Until I remove the respirator!

hevysrf

Petty Officer 3rd Class

enough of this respirator talk....you have a 17' Seaway? Pictures please!!! I have one too. Will be my next restore. Would love to see yours!! Don't see many of these but I get so many compliments on the hull when I launch mine. Post pics, please...oh & you DO need a good respirator!!!

Its an 82, floor is finally starting to get a little soft, I will probably center the console when I renovate it. She doesn't have much access below the deck, but every where I can stick the bore scope, the stringers appear to be nice solid yellow wood.

407315282.jpg