Polyester Resin Test Question

laxray

Seaman Apprentice
I saturated some CSM and after all was said and done I had some 1-2 mm air bubbles left. I'm wondering if I needed more resin or if I needed to work the material more. I used a paint roller to saturate as per instructed by an old Bayliner warranty repair man here in town. I also ran out of resin, or at least used all that I had mixed. Being afraid of using too much resin I'm thinking maybe I should have used a little more.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Polyester Resin Test Question

You may have over rolled trying to get 'good' coverage as you ran low on resin. It doesn't look like it's got too little resin, or at least from here it doesn't :watermelon:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What kind of roller did you use? If anything I thing you may have "overrolled" it. In the beginning you have a tendency to do that. Once the mat is saturated and clear it's done. No need to keep working it or apply more resin. I really don't see any issues with that lamination.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's a little difficult to see in the pic's because of the light colored background, but it does look a little dry.

Did you pre-coat the wood with resin and let it get hard before applying the CSM? If you don't the wood can suck resin out of the glass and leave it dry, air can also expand in the wood create bubbles in the laminate.

If everything else was correct then it looks like a little more resin was needed.