Doghouse Rebuild

kngohps

Recruit
Going to be attempting to rebuild the doghouse on my dad's boat, with his help. As we aren't really sure what we are going to do as of now I thought this would be a good place to start. I've been reading on here and other places and haven't really seen a real sure way to go. We were basically going to use marine grade plywood, make a box then upholster it, and attempt to find some form of insulation. Any thoughts on thickness of plywood to use, insulation to use, etc.. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Doghouse Rebuild

If you want to keep it simple, use the same basic design and dimensions of the original doghouse...
If you want it to last a very long time, you should seal the wood with fiberglass, epoxy, or any number of quality wood sealing finishes...especially the edges...
If you are going to be gluing it together be sure to use a waterproof glue like Titebond 3 or Gorilla glue...
If you are going to be using any fasteners, use Stainless Steel or Monel...
For insulation you can use products like Dynamat or something similar, just be sure it is rated to be used in the engine compartment...
If you want to get creative and build a custom doghouse with a different set up than what is original, you are free to do so and you can do it with all of the same materials as above...
Post up some pics and lets see how it works out...
Have Fun!
GT1M:)

Bondo

Staff member

Going to be attempting to rebuild the doghouse on my dad's boat, with his help. As we aren't really sure what we are going to do as of now I thought this would be a good place to start. I've been reading on here and other places and haven't really seen a real sure way to go. We were basically going to use marine grade plywood, make a box then upholster it, and attempt to find some form of insulation. Any thoughts on thickness of plywood to use, insulation to use, etc.. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... How big is this motor box,..??

Marine grade plywood is probably a waste of money, better spent elsewhere,...

Are ya gonna glass it together, or usin' screws, or,..??

I used closed cell packin' foam sheets to line mine,...

pckeen

Commander

1/2" to 3/4 inch plywood should be used. Duplicate whatever you have now.

kngohps

Recruit

1/2" to 3/4 inch plywood should be used. Duplicate whatever you have now.

Thanks for all the reply's so quick! Apparently my dad was able to find a full piece of the old one to measure and use to cut out the new one. He doesn't want to use fiberglass and the old plywood was 3/4". Do you think if not using fiber glass is it important to use the marine grade plywood. I know someone mentioned it was a waste and it would be better to spend money elsewhere.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

You can use some ACX plywood...just make sure it is laminated using exterior grade glue...
You should seal it with a few coats of marine spar varnish to help it last...