What should I use for flotation foam ?

adk_vfr

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I am currently redoing the floor on my 1994 spectrum aluminum hull boat the floor ended up having a soft spot so I tore it out. the flotation foam was pretty saturated in the back of the boat so I have also removed that. My question is what should I use for flotation foam I was gonna just order some more pour in expanding foam but am worried about having the same drainage issues as before it seems to block all the passage ways up so water can drain out properly. what have you guys used and found the work the best I already have my marine grade plywood and just wanna get her back together. thanks

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What should I use for flotation foam ?

You will find that people use several foams around here from pool noodles to blue and pink sheet. I'm partial to the polyurethane two part pour foam myself because it meets US Coast Guard specs. Its resistant to fuel and closed cell. You can block off small channels to get good drainage to the bilge pump. Do some searching on here to see how others did it, you will find lots of ideas.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Starcraft used sheets of Styrofoam under the deck for years. I restored an 18' that was over 20 years old and although having some dirt and mildew on them, there was no infusion of water.....it's closed cell......like it keeps your coffee in the cup not in your lap. I did not, nor have to, replace them.

Mark

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

You can plumb your drainage w PVC before pouring

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You can plumb your drainage w PVC before pouring

a half-cut PVC pipe works really well; lay it with the curve up like this: ^. While you can also run hoses and wiring in them, it's better to have that in its own chase.adn for wiring, above the foam rather than on the hull.

Leave openings at strategic points for water from the deck to drain down to the bilge, including alond the sides. Flotation foam does not have to be one solid chunk designed to block water; it displaces water, and you want any water to quickly evacuate to the stern.

Look for blocks of styrofoam from shipping electronics, etc. Do some dumpster diving at the shopping center.

However, styrofoam melts instantly upon contact with gasoline so keep that in mind for those with internal tanks.

Around here one can always find used cheap or free boogie boards--the soft ones known by surfers as for "sponge riders." Find them at yard sales, trash day in the fall, beach rental houses in the summer, thrift stores. They are sealed cell and come in thick sheets that can be cut, and may be easier to stuff into voids than noodles.